Is it possible to use the `mdi` icons in a `text` node?

(Sorry folks, but I am stuck.)

NR 2.2.0
Dashboard: 3.1.6

I have kind of been down this path before, but things have thrown a curve ball at me and I am wanting to know if it is possible.

This is what I have now in a function node to create a message to go to a text node.

msg = {payload: '<font color = "lime" i class="fa fa-cog fa-spin fa-2x "></i>'};

Then there is
msg = {payload: '<font color = "cyan" i class="fa fa-cog fa-2x "></i>'};
as the second option.

What I didn't consider is the third option:
msg = {payload: '<font color = "black" i class="fa fa-ban fa-2x "></i>'};

So I am wanting to get that working but with the newer mdi icons.

So this is my starting point:

msg.payload = '<iconify-mdi:fan 46px fa-spin>';

But it doesn't show/work.

So before wasting more time I guess I'd better check if it is possible at all.
(Ok, there is a bit of chopping and changing in the examples. The colour attributes are wanted, but until I can get the basics working I am not going to worry about it as if it can't be done, it doesn't matter anyway.)

After more study, I have even got the payload to be this:
msg.payload = '<class = "iconify-mdi:fan 46px fa-spin">';

Still nothing.

Isn't fa-spin a 'font awesome' class?
(fa = font awesome)

A quick look at the mdi readme shows mdi-spin as the correct class for spinning, and mdi-46px for size adjustments.

Thanks Paul, but that's where I am out of my depth.

A while back I was pointed to use this new breed of icons (Here))

And they work. But I have no idea how.

I added the two lines required to make them usable:

<script src="https://code.iconify.design/1/1.0.7/iconify.min.js"></script>
<script src="https://fonts.google.com/icons"></script>

But then it is just beyond me.

It works fine if I just have an on/off icon. That's fine. But if the machine is off line I bring the ban icon into things and the wheels fall off.

Originally I was told to use the switch (GUI) node and set the two icons for the on/off state there - and that works.

But as I have since realised with wanting to add the third state (of off-line) it doesn't work.

The switch node doesn't have a third state and so I have to use the text node.

If you read the other thread (towards the bottom) I get stuck with getting this new icon to spin.
(Scroll to post 33 in that thread)

I was being a good boy scout and constructing the commands using the new icon's theme.
But it was pointed out that it is covered by the FA (font awesome) icon qualifiers and so I use fa-spin to spin it, even though it technically isn't their icon.
(That is way WAY above me in understanding how it works.)

I put the fa-spin and it spins.

So I'm stuck on how to use this new set of icons in a text node rather than a switch node.

This is from where I believe I am getting the icon:
search for fan

And I get the icon.

Considering I have it sort of working, I seem to be missing something about how to make it more generic with its use, so I can use it like the font awesome and material design icons.

At least they have a bit more understandable page on how to use them.
This is all I can see on how to use this new type.

And it is very different to the two lines I posted at the start to get them usable.

So again I am out of my depth in being able to make sense of the instructions.

Hmm... maybe you should try the multi-switch from Bart .. more details here

multi_switch_color_demo

But that isn't allowing me to put 3 icons in the one space depending on the condition of the fan.

Bart is working closely with hotnipi ... @hotnipi is king of CSS .. i'm sure he will be able to get this integrsted in this node .. just raise a request with em on github

I am trying to see how it is done normally.

I got the material design icons working. I got the font awesome icons working too.

This new breed seem more difficult to use.
Which I get may be part of the deal.

But it would be nice if I could work it out reading what is out there.
As I see it, there are a lot of icons and stuff, but they seem to be missing how to use them, which detracts partly from their usability.

Ah OK, you didn't say that in your first post, so I assumed from your topic title that you were loading & using the mdi icon collection - https://materialdesignicons.com/

Ok, I didn't explain it quite well enough.

But isn't iconify-mdi:fan 46px fa-spin enough to say I am using the mdi icons?

Anyway, I'm stuck on how to use them in/on a text node rather than the switch node.

(I'm now even more confused in that the link you posted is different to one I posted and that is also different to a third link which is google icons which some how got brought into this.

(But that/this is a whole different problem I think)

Give this a try only took me about 2 hours to figure out :wink:

[{"id":"1b70296512cff1f7","type":"ui_text","z":"5ae69456be119464","group":"365f6b900be3a1a6","order":3,"width":"4","height":1,"name":"test","label":"{{msg.payload}}","format":"","layout":"col-center","className":"","x":850,"y":160,"wires":[]},{"id":"798960aa3a4558a3","type":"inject","z":"5ae69456be119464","name":"","props":[{"p":"payload"},{"p":"topic","vt":"str"}],"repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","payload":"<font size=\"7\">  <font color=\"lime\" <span class=\"iconify icon:mdi:fan fa-spin\"></span> </font>","payloadType":"str","x":610,"y":120,"wires":[["1b70296512cff1f7"]]},{"id":"e81850f80616b7c7","type":"inject","z":"5ae69456be119464","name":"","props":[{"p":"payload"},{"p":"topic","vt":"str"}],"repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","payload":"<font size=\"7\">  <font color=\"cyan\" <span class=\"iconify icon:mdi:fan\"></span> </font>","payloadType":"str","x":610,"y":160,"wires":[["1b70296512cff1f7"]]},{"id":"49d8b2d2e8727634","type":"inject","z":"5ae69456be119464","name":"","props":[{"p":"payload"},{"p":"topic","vt":"str"}],"repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","payload":"<font size=\"7\">  <font color=\"black\" <span class=\"fa fa-ban\"></span> </font>","payloadType":"str","x":610,"y":200,"wires":[["1b70296512cff1f7"]]},{"id":"365f6b900be3a1a6","type":"ui_group","name":"Group","tab":"dc50fb1.77df988","order":null,"disp":true,"width":6},{"id":"dc50fb1.77df988","type":"ui_tab","name":"Home Page","icon":"","order":1,"disabled":false,"hidden":false}]
1 Like

You are the man! Thanks @smcgann99

I tested it on my main machine and it works.
Now I'll apply it to my other machine/s.

If it took you 2 hours, it would have taken me 2 weeks. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.