Logo from UI_Template only display once at start

Hi dear Node-RED community,

I have an issue with what I expected to be a rather simple thing. But I was wrong...:sweat_smile:
I am using a UI_Template to add an image/logo in the title bar, unfortunately it only briefly show once at the deploy/start of Node-RED then it disappears.

[{"id":"7b741b25.ea5a54","type":"ui_template","z":"f2b64df.e00fcb","group":"3ae7912c.4b341e","name":"Logo","order":1,"width":0,"height":0,"format":"<style>\n    .md-toolbar-tools{\n        background-image: url(\"/img/LogoW.png\");\n        background-repeat: no-repeat;\n        margin-left: 60px;\n        margin-left: 0;\n        background-size: 125px 39px;\n        background-position: 50px;\n        \n    }\n    .md-toolbar-tools h1{\n        text-align: right;\n        width: 250px;\n    }\n</style>","storeOutMessages":true,"fwdInMessages":true,"templateScope":"global","x":750,"y":220,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"3ae7912c.4b341e","type":"ui_group","z":"","name":"Machine Status","tab":"ba299034.8e80d","order":1,"disp":true,"width":"6","collapse":true},{"id":"ba299034.8e80d","type":"ui_tab","z":"","name":"Overall","icon":"language","order":1}]

I don't know where this strange behavior might be coming from.

Cheers,

Antoine

Are you sure that you have only one ui_template node in your project where you override dashboard styles?

@hotNipi I do have a lot of other ui_template but they are all of the type "Widget in group".

This one is the only one of the type "Added to site section".

I have 15 of those series of 3 nodes with 2 ui-template + 1 text coming out of a switch node attached to a MQQT and Json nodes.

[{"id":"40ea7d59.be8d64","type":"ui_template","z":"f2b64df.e00fcb","group":"3ae7912c.4b341e","name":"WCE1","order":2,"width":"2","height":"1","format":"<div style=\"font-size: 15px;\">\n<font color=black><i>WCE#1</i></font>\n</div>","storeOutMessages":true,"fwdInMessages":true,"templateScope":"local","x":1090,"y":100,"wires":[["6d6a1a2.9de3ce4"]]},{"id":"6d6a1a2.9de3ce4","type":"ui_template","z":"f2b64df.e00fcb","group":"3ae7912c.4b341e","name":"Icon_WCE1","order":3,"width":"1","height":"1","format":"<div style=\"font-size: 22px;\">\n<font color={{msg.color}}><i class=\"fa {{msg.icon}}\"></i></font>\n</div>","storeOutMessages":true,"fwdInMessages":true,"templateScope":"local","x":1270,"y":100,"wires":[["36c84648.fe081a"]]},{"id":"36c84648.fe081a","type":"ui_text","z":"f2b64df.e00fcb","group":"3ae7912c.4b341e","order":4,"width":"3","height":"1","name":"WCE_1_Running Time","label":"{{msg.payload[0]}}","format":"{{msg.payload[1]}}","layout":"row-spread","x":1460,"y":100,"wires":[]},{"id":"3ae7912c.4b341e","type":"ui_group","z":"","name":"Machine Status","tab":"ba299034.8e80d","order":1,"disp":true,"width":"6","collapse":true},{"id":"ba299034.8e80d","type":"ui_tab","z":"","name":"Overall","icon":"language","order":1}]

Can't see any problems.
Is there any error in browser console?

Would you please share version numbers of your setup
Nde-RED
dashboard
nodejs

@hotNipi

Node-RED v0.19.5
dashboard v2.10.1
node.js v6.12.3

No errors in the console with Chrome nor Edge.

I am running on a Siemens IoT2000 device, under Yocto.

Well versions are old. This doesn't automatically mean that it should't work but It will be hard to prove as who wanted to go back in time so far.
Can you update?

As I'm sure you are aware, the versions you are running are quite old (and the version of nodejs is no longer supported)
But given the device you are running on, there are restrictions about what version of nodejs you can run
Which will restrict the version of Node-RED and dashboard you can successfully run.

Indeed. I would advise not updating unless you know you have good backup and can go back

Thanks guys @hotNipi @ukmoose @dceejay

You might all be on the right track.
I have tested on another Siemens IoT2000, that was updated less long ago and it works fine with the exact same whole flow. (Those devices are not connected to internet they are on a closed network, and I have not updated them since I deployed them mid-2018)

Versions are the following :
Node-RED v0.20.6
dashboard v2.15.5
node.js v6.14.3

I will try to update node.js first, then the dashboard and finally Node-RED, let's see if any update solve this problem.
I will backup first, it's easy-peasy just copy the SD card prior to attempt the update. If it fails I will use back the original image. I will do that Monday and keep you posted and hopefully close this thread.

The alternative is to use the embedded Node-RED to get data off the device via MQTT.

Then use Node-RED on a second device, where you can utilise a CPU thatā€™s supported by nodejs v10 & 12 and the latest version of Node-RED.

@ukmoose yep good suggestion. I could use a RPi3 or 4 just for my dashboard, and it won't require a lot of work, since I already have the data of all my Siemens IoT2000 going from one to another trough MQTT, with 1 master for each shop floor area, and a variable number of slaves for each.

I will try the upgrade first, then in a couple of weeks we should have a new image available with node.js version 8, so with that I should be able to get Node-RED v1.0 !!!

I do love those Siemens IoT2000 devices because they are CE certified, they are 24v compatible, so they are great to directly plug on all industrial machines.

As expected, the update to a slightly more recent version fixed the problem. @dceejay @ukmoose @hotNipi

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction ! :+1: