Making connection secure (HTTPS) in Windows

I am running Node Red in a Windows VM. It is only used for connection from local network. Also already added user authentication with the node-red-contrib-users node.
But now I want to implement some browser notifications and thus it seems I have to enable HTTPS access. I found some tutorial about this but they all refer to Pi/Ubuntu. Are there any tutorials for enabling this on a Windows machine? Will this also work for a local-only use (with access via IP, without domain)?

More and more common to require this for all sorts of reasons. And if using any kind of web service, even over a local network, it is best to use TLS.

Probably not, not a common scenario to be honest. Even Windows people generally run microservice architectures on Linux if they can. :slight_smile:

But if relying only on Node-RED's built-in web server, the process is the same as for Linux (the joys of working with something like Node.js) other than the locations of your 2 certificate/key files will be different. They need to be somewhere read-only to Node-RED. Node-RED should not be able to change them.

Not with any kind of validated TLS certificate, only self-signed since you cannot have a publicly valid certificate issued against an IP address. Self-signed certificates are a pain to work with these days I'm afraid as all browsers will complain about them unless you go to the trouble of creating a self-signed trusted root certificate as well (from which your actual cert is derived) and uploading it to all devices.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.