Modbus RTU node red UART issue

Hello,

I am working on Modbus RTU Serial UART node-red flow application. I am facing an issue after deploying the flow, the node-red application gets crashes and does not start back again.

I have checked my IIOT device serial physical connection and verified it using serial port node
"npm install node-red-node-serialport@0.15.0" with an older version and it is working, but the issue is with the Modbus UART interface.

Please guide me.

Br,
Devendra

Show us what error you get when you try to restart it. Also tell us what hardware an OS you are running on, what version of node-red and what version of nodejs.

Hello,

Log for node-red after restarting.

Hardware OS - Linux.

Node red version - V3.0.2

Node.js Version - V16.16.0

Br,
Devendra

The segmentation fault is likely due to binary incompatibilities between your compiled binaries and the libraries they are linked against.

My guess is you updated node-js?

You likely need to npm rebuild everything (or just remove and re-install the modbus and serial nodes - which will cause them to be recompiled)

Hello Steve,

I have not updated node-js, whatever version is available on node-red I just installed it.

I have removed the Modbus node and after node-red gets started but after adding the Modbus node node-red & deploying settings node-red gets stopped again the same issue repeats.

Br,
Devendra

What hardware and OS are you running on, and how did you install node red and nodejs? I notice nodejs is in /usr/local/bin which is unusual.

Hello Colin,

Please find below details.

Hardware - Hilscher make NFX8M-D2-N32-010 IIOT Gateway - Hilscher: NFX8M-D2-N32-010–netFIELD Compact X8M - Edge Gateway with remote management option

OS - Linux (netFIELD OS V2.3.0.4) - Kernel 5.4.117-yocto-standard+

I have installed a node-red application using the docker container into this Hilscher IIOT Gateway.

Br,
Devendra

I don't understand, if node-red is a Docker install, how is it being started using /usr/local/bin/node? However, my knowledge of Docker is limited, so I will have to leave this to someone else to help.

Hello Colin,

Basically, Node-red is perfectly running my Modbus TCP node is also working perfectly, but the only issue is with the Serial UART interface. I have seen this kind of issue many developers are facing, with this same error/problem.

you can refer this kind of issue - Segment fault error occurs when deploy node-red-node-serial in openWRT

for this, I am able to use a Simple Serial interface node node-red-node-serialport@0.15.0 version, without any issue. But my problem is with Modbus RTU serial UART node i am facing this issue.

In case you need any further information from my side please let me know.

Br,
Devendra

Can you identify exactly which modbus contrib node you are using: Library - Node-RED

I don't think that 'many' developers have seen the problem, but it does appear that you are not alone.

Well if @dceejay was not able to help diagnose the problem then I am sorry to say that I will be of little help, as Dave is the Docker expert. Possibly he will be able to help further since we are a year further on than the issue you linked to.

Hello Steve,

I am using "node-red-contrib-modbus" node in that Modbus Read node.

Br,
Devendra

Hello,

I am waiting for solution, please help me on this issue.

Br,
Devendra

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.