MQTT Node: Subscribing to `+/+/$homie` does not work?

Could also be a problem with the library used by the MQTT nodes.
It's this version: https://www.npmjs.com/package/mqtt/v/2.18.8

Some edge case when you have multiple overlapping subscriptions and using wildcards... just a thought.

Should we close this thread then? Before we stray too far away... :smile:

1 Like

I did consider that but thought it might be rude :grin:

But now you've suggested it as well ... why not, I think that it has served its purpose.

As a final reminder, here is a link to the other thread where we have started to talk about extended use-cases and standards.

1 Like

Julian, forgive me for writing on your closed topic - perhaps I missed something.

Is this solved?

You said

so I'm a little confused?

Are you now able to sub to +/+/$homie or is there an actual issue in node-red that needs to be resolved?

Sorry if i missed that bit.

1 Like

Not really solved. There is certainly an odd interaction between the esp homie framework and Node-RED's mqtt-in node. I just no longer think it important enough to worry about for now.

At least part of the issue is what Christian mentioned about the default Mosquitto settings and using QoS=0 for retained messages. Something that accounts for some other previous issues I had (months ago) that was causing some of my lighting to go wonk. I "fixed" that by adjusting my MQTT output settings in Node-RED.

Unfortunately, I just don't have any spare time or capacity to work through the many test cases logically in order to track down whether or not there is a bug or just my misunderstanding of how things should be working. Too many variables.

I can work around the issue so there is little point in continuing this thread. However, if others want to do any more testing, I'd be happy for it to be reopened. It is just that the other thread is, I believe, a lot more important.