Need help on how to use python in node red

Hello, I have a project involving a sensor with an I2C output. I'm using NODE RED and I managed to get the I2C information but I don't know how I can use a python code to make a test on the value of the I2C output and use the python script to output to a GPIO.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum @elpepito

Do you mean you want help writing the python code, or do you mean you want to call python code from node red. You can run a python script from node red using an exec node.

Why do you want to use python to output to GPIO? You can do that directly from node red.

Node-RED is mostly javascript - so any processing inside Node-RED would be much easier using that... You can of course use an exec node to call out to a python program and get the result back if that is what you need - but there are also i2c type nodes and some sensor specific ones as well that may help do what you want.

Take a look at pigpiod and in particular pigs and the pipe interface http://abyz.me.uk/rpi/pigpio/pigpiod.html

With this library you can run I2C/SPI on any GPIO pin. It also allows you to create output wave forms and input timing/edge detection with ~10uS accuracy without having to use sudo.

Start by testing pigs commands from within a terminal session to detect your hardware and read results. Then access pigs from node-red using either exec, file in out or access the pipe interface of the library using tcp nodes.

In my experience if one is running on a Pi zero, python can put too much of a strain on memory/cpu especially if lots of devices are being accessed frequently.

P.S. The library has C and Python source examples to help you customise your device driver.

Hello and thank you, my project is to water automatically a plant with a humidity sensor which uses I2C. I don't know how I can get a python script running doing that on the raspberry because I don't know how to get the I2C values in python but I found how to get them with node red, but I don't know javascript, I only know python a bit. I hope it helps to understand my issues

Not really, I still don't know what you want help with. You don't need to know much javascript to use node-red, and there are people here who will help if you get stuck.

Did you check out the pigs interface I linked above ?

Make sure the pigpiod service is running, then make sure you can access the I2C device from the command line in a terminal session. With the above library there is no need for python or C for that matter, just send command strings to the device address from an exec node and read back the response.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.