Noble doesn´t work

Hi,
I´m unable to install the noble node on my Raspberry Pi 4.
Somehow it says no permission. But I tried as sudo.

Can someone help me, or knuw a newer alternative?

big tkanks
marcel

what is the full name of the node? searching the Flowlibrary for 'noble' returns 10 possibilities......

The Name is Node-red-contrib-noble.
I want to Check if Someone ist at Home With a mobile or beacon. An a possibility to Check the distance to the Pi for a special Action.

Did you read the pre-requisites?

By default, standard users don't get access to the Bluetooth device on a Pi. A lot of tutorials will tell you to run as root but that is a poor choice. All you really need to do is to add the user account to the appropriate group or maybe change the permissions of the bluetooth device. Honestly so long since I bothered to mess with BT that I can't remember the details.

Hi,

I got this result after try to install
And I tried as root User as well.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo npm install -g node-red-contrib-noble
npm WARN npm npm does not support Node.js v10.21.0
npm WARN npm You should probably upgrade to a newer version of node as we
npm WARN npm can't make any promises that npm will work with this version.
npm WARN npm Supported releases of Node.js are the latest release of 4, 6, 7, 8, 9.
npm WARN npm You can find the latest version at https://nodejs.org/

usb@1.6.3 install /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red-contrib-noble/node_modules/usb
prebuild-install --verbose || node-gyp rebuild

prebuild-install info begin Prebuild-install version 5.3.6
prebuild-install WARN install EACCES: permission denied, access '/root/.npm'
gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir '/usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red-contrib-noble/node_modules/usb/build'
gyp ERR! System Linux 5.4.79-v7l+
gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/node-gyp" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red-contrib-noble/node_modules/usb
gyp ERR! node -v v10.21.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.8.0
gyp ERR! not ok

bluetooth-hci-socket@0.5.1 install /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red-contrib-noble/node_modules/bluetooth-hci-socket
node-gyp rebuild

gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir '/usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red-contrib-noble/node_modules/bluetooth-hci-socket/build'
gyp ERR! System Linux 5.4.79-v7l+
gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/node-gyp" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red-contrib-noble/node_modules/bluetooth-hci-socket
gyp ERR! node -v v10.21.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.8.0
gyp ERR! not ok
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: xpc-connection@~0.1.4 (node_modules/node-red-contrib-noble/node_modules/noble/node_modules/xpc-connection):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for xpc-connection@0.1.4: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"linux","arch":"arm"})
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: usb@1.6.3 (node_modules/node-red-contrib-noble/node_modules/usb):
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: usb@1.6.3 install: prebuild-install --verbose || node-gyp rebuild
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Exit status 1
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: bluetooth-hci-socket@0.5.1 (node_modules/node-red-contrib-noble/node_modules/bluetooth-hci-socket):
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: bluetooth-hci-socket@0.5.1 install: node-gyp rebuild
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Exit status 1

• node-red-contrib-noble@0.3.0
    added 5 packages from 7 contributors in 16.424s

But maybe someone knows another possibility. I try to setup a device Outside the house and when I walk by, the door should open. I thought by the MAC adress an the intensity of the signal for the distance so it will not open all the time my mobile is around 5 meters :wink:

Well you immediately have 2 issues that are nothing to do with Noble or Node-RED.

Firstly you are using an out-of-date version of Node.js

Then you have a file permissions error on the folder /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red-contrib-noble/node_modules/bluetooth-hci-socket/build.

Did I mention you should read the pre-requisites for the node?

Also, I did point out that you shouldn't run Node-RED as root. Nor should you install nodes are as root as you will end up with the kinds of errors that you are seeing in that log.

Update node.js to something more recent. Then manually remove the /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-red-contrib-noble/node_modules/bluetooth-hci-socket (as root).

Then fix the bluetooth device permissions and carefully read the install instructions for the node.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.