🎉 Node-RED 3.0.0-beta.2 released

Steve, I have a normal keyboard, the problem is that my left hand is deformed.

Hey Garry, not wanting to pry, or put my foot in my mouth, I jumped to the conclusion the alt+shift were on different sides of the keyboard when you said 2 fingers. (hope there was no offence)

We'll have to have a bit think.

Would you mind looking at the design doc & see if there is a happy medium?

Ah, I understand! No offence taken. Is there a non keyboard method to insert a junction? I'm just getting into this.

1 Like

Hmmm - actually, I dont think so.

There is the "quick add"

CTRL + Click

chrome_jGxYu18VAW

That will do for me Steve, I forgot about that! This is an extreme edge case. I'd still love a right click drop down menu that I can customise :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Docker containers in the same place as time (Docker Hub)

2 Likes

Junctions again...

How does the shift-alt-drag process detect that it has crossed a wire?
Is this processing in the browser or on the NR server?

I notice that if I move the cursor too fast it misses some wires.
Animation2

This is Node-red running on a Raspberry Pi Zero Two, browser is Firefox on Windows 10.

It is all done in the browser. Yes, the current implementation does mean it can miss wires if swiped too quickly. There isn't a quick fix for that.

Thanks Nick.
I don't think it's a big problem; it's very obvious when a wire gets missed out, just have to CTRL Z and do it again, slower.

Vivaldi issue maybe, doesn't happen with Edge.

This incarnation is much more robust and consistent. Many thanks for the work everyone, nice feature.

Seeing the same as @jbudd even when swiping slowly.
newver

Node-red running on a Raspberry Pi 3B+, browser is Chrome (current ver) on Windows 10.

Paul, I believe in your specific animation, the swipe is crossing right at the point where 2 wires cross -- and because in SVG one of the 2 has to be on top of the other, the bottom one never sees the mouse event... just an educated guess, but probably best to stay away from overlaps in the wires.

2 Likes

I don't think so, if you look at the dashed swipe track line, you'll see I curved it's path between the 2 crossed lines, but yes, maybe it was a little close.
I think that the bigger problem is trying to perform a 'consistent speed' swipe using a touchpad, whilst holding down a touchpad button, and the keyboard combination at the same time. It isn't easy! and results in wires being missed because the cursor travelled too fast over a particular section of the swipe.
But, not a big problem, lets leave it here, just need to be aware and double check afterwards, and if it's missed a wire, I can always Ctl-Z and try again :grinning:

the width of the wires is actually wider than the visible width in order to make them easier to select in normal operation

4 Likes

I think that it is about as good as it gets right now and the main thing is to make sure that the documentation mentions this.

I tried Node-RED 3 beta and want to let you know some thoughts.

Node-RED 3 now automatically create dummy names, e.g. "function 1", or "link in 2". But this clashes with the nrLint plugin checks 'no-unnamed-functions' and 'no-unnamed-links'. The linter doesn't detect these nodes as being unnamed.

I think that these automatic names are not very helpful at all, that is why the linter was such a great tool to identify unnamed functions. Automatic names are nice for temporary debug nodes, but not functions or links.

Or, nrLint must count these dummy names as being unnamed.

That was partly the intention.

It was designed to reduce the places where a flow has mostly unnamed items making debugging less difficult. Why not simply name them as you go?

But they are better than no name as they are at least unique within your flows.

We could certainly add an option to the rules to flag nodes that still have a default name set - but it would be an option that could be toggled, rather than fixed behaviour.

3 Likes

Yes, that's exactly what I usually do. :wink: But hey, in the heat of the moment some nodes get overlooked, or naming is delayed. If you concentrate on what the flow should do, there is often not the right time to think about good function names.

Once the flow works I usually look over it and name functions etc. This is where the linter is great help.

Yes, Nick, great idea. At least the linter should be able to determine unnamed nodes. If not it would make a mockery of it.