Node-red-contrib-midi fails to install from Manage palette under Linux (Ubuntu 21.10)

What do you see in the console when you start node red using node-red-start or just node-red?

I've no idea what the answer to that question is @Colin , but I do know that by typing 'cd $HOME/.node-red' I got to the right place ... and it worked. Thanks for all your help. I know it's probably frustrating when you're helping someone with almost no knowledge of the subject matter!

Why have you no idea? How do you start and stop node-red?

I don't know because I've never done had to stop or start node-RED. I've configured it as a service that starts on boot, so I've only ever had to restart it. And even if I had started it on the command line, I doubt that I would have clocked whatever it is that you you're referring to.

That's bye-the-bye. What helps folks like me is really specific instruction. A question like "Why did you install it there?" (obviously because I didn't know any better, and misunderstood something) is of less help that clear guidance on how to access the correct folder.

Now I've got to the end, I know that what I've had to do is utterly trivial. Once I knew exactly what to do, it took me 3-4 minutes to clone the repo, edit the package.json file and run npm from the right place. But it's taken nearly 2 days either because I'm thick, or because the information available assumes a level of knowledge that makes well intentioned explanations offered impenetrable or prone to misinterpretation for the novice.

Thanks for the assistance. It would have taken much longer again without your help.

2 Likes

In post #12, #14, and #16 I said to install it from the .node-red folder, when I asked 'why did you install it there' I meant why did you install it there instead of where I had said to install it from three times previously. When answering questions here we have to assume a level of knowledge, and expect the poster to ask if he does not understand. You did not ask where that folder is till post #20.

As to where that folder is then it tells you in the sixth line of the log that you posted in your first message.

About the fix itself no-one here knew what the fix was, so no-one could immediately tell you how to fix it.

For the future, if you have further problems then you may well be asked to post the startup log from starting node-red in a terminal as it can provide helpful information. Assuming you used the recommended method of installing on Ubuntu (linked to right at the top of the Getting Started Guide) then the command node-red-stop will stop node red and node-red-start will start it and show the log.

I recommend watching this playlist: Node-RED Essentials. The videos are done by the developers of node-red. They're nice & short and to the point. You will understand a whole lot in about 1 hour. A small investment for a lot of gain.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.