Node-Red installation fail Windows Server 2019 via RDP

I installed Node.js using the installer:
node-v16.14.0-x64

I am using an RDP session to access this computer on a customer's network. I have administrator privileges. I don't think the computer has internet access.

I get this output when I type into the command-line:
"npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red"

C:\Users\R941224o>npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red
npm ERR! code ETIMEDOUT
npm ERR! syscall connect
npm ERR! errno ETIMEDOUT
npm ERR! network request to https://registry.npmjs.org/node-red failed, reason: connect ETIMEDOUT 104.16.23.35:443
npm ERR! network This is a problem related to network connectivity.
npm ERR! network In most cases you are behind a proxy or have bad network settings.
npm ERR! network
npm ERR! network If you are behind a proxy, please make sure that the
npm ERR! network 'proxy' config is set properly. See: 'npm help config'

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! C:\Users\R941224o\AppData\Local\npm-cache_logs\2022-02-23T22_45_06_995Z-debug-0.log

The error implies your windows machine is failing to connect to npmjs.org to download the packages required to install Node-RED.

You need to look at your network for errors or most likely a firewall and what proxy settings are required to allow access to the outside world.

If the machine has no internet access then you are not going to be able to install anything.

You might be able to do the install on a connected machine and copy the files over.

Thank you for your reply. I thought that maybe the internet being blocked was the case. I manually copied Node.js installer. In the past I never had the problem because with internet access it's easiest to download directly since the files are compact.

I've created an account at NPM. I'm going through the help about manual installation. I'm not sure that I'm in the right place and the terminology is a little confusing.

Can you help me to find documentation about manually copying files for Node-Red installation?

I have Node-red installed on Windows and linux machines at my location. I've installed and used Node-red before. I develop on machines with Node-red and internet access. I'm trying to install on a customer machine that is in their Plant Controls Network that has limited access outside that mostly to a DMZ.

No, nothing on npm will help you here.

Best I can do is suggest you do a local (not global) npm install into a known directory

mkdir temp
cd temp
npm install node-red

Then zip up the temp directory copy it over to the unconnected machine and unzip it.

You can then try starting it by running:

cd temp
node_modules\.bin\node-red.bat

But you are going to have other problems, once installed it will be hard to install any extra nodes as the catalogue manager will not work.

You will need a connected machine to install the modules then zip up the content of the userDir and copy that over as well.

I believe others have got this sort of thing to work, but it would be a lot easier if you could set the machine up with it connected to the internet first, then move it to the air-gapped network.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.