Node red multiple instances

Windows 10 here.

shortcut? would that work the same way?

No, a shortcut wouldn't work. That is actually a special file.

However, what would work is .... a soft link :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yes, Windows NTFS filing system has always supported soft and hard links. There are commands to create them but there is also a handy piece of software that lets you create and change them from Windows explorer as well.

In Windows you also have another option called a "Junction". This actually behaves like a "hard link" rather than a soft link and you need to be careful with it because if someone deletes the junction, it will actually delete the original folder. Soft links are safer because deleting the link only deletes the link, the original is left alone. The other advantage of soft links is that they work across filing system boundaries - e.g. from 1 physical drive to another.

"TotallyInformation" :thinking: My mind is blown. Totally awesome info. I did not know this.... I'll look into this soft-link business. it's very intriguing. but, I'll have to Google it.

Kind Regards,

Wikipedia NTFS links...
Hard Links ... share samte MFT entry in the file system.
Symbolic Links file path ref
Junction points. Directories only ref.

mklink /j <Link> <Target>

/j -- this parameter creates a Directory Junction.
<Link> -- This parameter specifies the name of the symbolic link
<Target> -- This parameter specifies the path that the new symbolic link refers to.

I've used this for many a long year - one of the first things that I install on a new Windows installation:

https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

SUCCESS!

using cmd shell and "MKLINK" command. I used /d SYMBOLIC LINK, According to Microsoft, the difference between Symbolic Links and Junctions is that Junctions are limited to folders and Symbolic Links can be folders or files. They both can be deleted by the delete key or through windows file explorer menus. The proper usage from the cmd shell is RMDIR for a JUNCTION. If it is related to a file, then delete or del works.

First a test to see how it works.
new "folder" link "mytestlnk" in the same dir as the one to substitute.
C:\node-red-1881>mklink /d mytestlnk C:\Users[this user].node-red\node_modules

rename existing
C:\node-red-1881> rename node_modules default_node_modules
rename test folder link to the new reference.
C:\node-red-1881> rename mytestlnk node_modules

now the link works to use the folder so that installs from original configuration match the install. All items installed are viewable and usable.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.