Node red random restart

Good Morning

I have random restarts of node red service, do you have some idea looking at syslog what could be driving this issue?

Jul 23 10:28:06 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting Daily apt download activities...
Jul 23 10:28:09 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started Daily apt download activities.
Jul 23 10:28:09 raspberrypi systemd[1]: apt-daily.timer: Adding 8h 30min 47.567185s random time.
Jul 23 10:28:09 raspberrypi systemd[1]: apt-daily.timer: Adding 4h 34min 45.094254s random time.
Jul 23 10:28:34 raspberrypi CRON[23364]: (CRON) info (No MTA installed, discarding output)
Jul 23 10:30:00 raspberrypi systemd[1]: nodered.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=1$
Jul 23 10:30:00 raspberrypi systemd[1]: nodered.service: U.nit entered failed state.
Jul 23 10:30:00 raspberrypi systemd[1]: nodered.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
Jul 23 10:30:01 raspberrypi systemd[1]: nodered.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling res$
Jul 23 10:30:01 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopped Node-RED graphical event wiring tool.
Jul 23 10:30:01 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started Node-RED graphical event wiring tool.
Jul 23 10:30:18 raspberrypi Node-RED[23610]: 23 Jul 10:30:18 - [warn] Projects disabled : set edito$
Jul 23 10:30:19 raspberrypi Node-RED[23610]: 23 Jul 10:30:19 - [warn]

Thanks in advance

What is showing on the node-red log?
What are your flows doing
What version of NR and node are you on?
What OS are you running NR on?
What verson of the OS?

Is a raspberry pi so it's raspbian and all is the latest version as I just installed from scratch 2 weeks ago, the log is the one shown on my previous post.

Regards

David your log does not show the version of node red or node. Start node red manually and you will see the versions: node-red

Did yup install NR with the bash script?

Hello Zeonfmud

I have re-edited settings.js to be able to capture again this info, here we go:

23 Jul 16:53:14 - [info] Node-RED version: v0.18.7
23 Jul 16:53:14 - [info] Node.js version: v8.11.3
23 Jul 16:53:14 - [info] Linux 4.14.52-v7+ arm LE

And yes, I have installed with the bash script.

Regards

You need to leave the node red log running (in a terminal run node-red-log and leave it open) till it restarts and show us what is in that log when it restarts.

What do you mean, you have re-editted settings.js?

I have edited settings to only log warnings and what I have is what I posted first, I can change it to "info" and will try to capture when that happens, is random once a day, so let's see...

Do you think is necessary? because all related to warning is already on the syslog I posted first

Regards

Well something killed node red. If it killed itself then there may be something in the log that indicates why. It might not be an error.
Have you looked in syslog at that time for any other reason that node red might have been killed such as out of memory for example?

I'm monitoring voltage in, ram memory, cpu load and SD disk free and I have really good numbers, this can't be, I'm not sure but this is latest raspbian, seems is making some kind of daily update or similar that restart the process... frankly I'm not completely sure.

I need to investigate to better understand, with previous raspbian versions with pre-installed node red versions this was not happening.

Something like that should be visible in syslog. Is it at the same time each day?

not at all, different time every day and seems to be only once, as per syslog I posted first on latest time I had this today I wonder if is some kind of system daily update or similar...

I have configured the log of node red to warning, should be ok like this or may I have to log more info to be able to better understand where the problem is coming from?

Thanks in advance

Do you mean the June 27, 2018 version of Stretch? I haven't seen any issues using Stretch lite.
When you say you are monitoring voltage in and have really good numbers...what do you define as really good numbers. and what is the amperage of the PSU? Most reboots are power issues.

voltage 5,20 stable, Amp were 0,0x, Ram over 70%, Disk free space over 9Gb,CPU lower than 15%,Temperature around 42ÂşC I think are really good. I have tried to change cable,power suppy & RPI and there is not a power issue.

You still haven't told us whether you see anything in syslog when node red restarts. I don't think it is re-booting for hardware reason as there would not be a node-red killed message, it would just stop.

Hello Colin

On Syslog I have what I posted on my first email, next time will happen, most probably along today, I will capture it again and re-post.

Only question for me is I have configured to log only warnings on settings, do you think I need to log mmany more info to be more helpful or is enough?

Regard

So you did, sorry. It is obviously not re-booting or you would see that in syslog.
Let's see what it shows next time.
Have you reduced the logging on any other aspects of the system? If so it is possible that something significant is being missed there.

Not, the only I reduced is on node red to warning level as otherwise syslog was huge and too difficult to read, I will post next one along the day.

Regards

Jus in case it helps someone some day....

The issue was related to the daily updater that has now raspbian, I'm very surprised that nobody else has the issue, most probably you have not realized the restarts.

Solution is:

~$ sudo systemctl stop apt-daily.timer
~$ sudo systemctl disable apt-daily.timer
~$ sudo systemctl disable apt-daily.service
~$ sudo systemctl daemon-reload

Note the issue could be anytime in my case I have several times node-red but latest one network was down until power cycle, I guess will depends on what is updated at he moment of the action.
The hour is random as system add a random timer for next update sesion.

Regards

JFI What was happening that made you notice the restarts?

Some text box or switch which still is not under variable backup to be restored is lost after restart, and from other side I'm monitoring this as some other parameters as well to ensure performance.

Regards