Node Red Service Crash? Shutdown?

Node Red Service Crash? Shutdown?

Mar 03 20:56:12 eccentric Node-RED[2683]: 3 Mar 20:56:12 - [info] User directory : /root/.node-red
Mar 03 20:56:12 eccentric Node-RED[2683]: 3 Mar 20:56:12 - [warn] Projects disabled : editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
Mar 03 20:56:12 eccentric Node-RED[2683]: 3 Mar 20:56:12 - [info] Flows file     : /root/.node-red/flows.json
Mar 03 20:56:12 eccentric Node-RED[2683]: 3 Mar 20:56:12 - [warn] Encrypted credentials not found
Mar 03 20:56:12 eccentric Node-RED[2683]: 3 Mar 20:56:12 - [info] Server now running at http://127.0.0.1:1880/
Mar 03 20:56:12 eccentric Node-RED[2683]: 3 Mar 20:56:12 - [info] Starting flows
Mar 03 20:56:13 eccentric Node-RED[2683]: 3 Mar 20:56:13 - [warn] [ui_list:Sections] *** Order property not set. Please contact developer. ***
Mar 03 20:56:13 eccentric Node-RED[2683]: 3 Mar 20:56:13 - [info] Started flows
Mar 03 20:56:13 eccentric Node-RED[2683]: 3 Mar 20:56:13 - [info] [mqtt-broker:Broker] Connected to broker: mqtt://broker.dachshund-digital.org:1883
Mar 03 20:59:47 eccentric systemd[1]: Stopping nodered.service - Node-RED graphical event wiring tool...
root@eccentric:~#

New install of NR, installed modules via 'npm' restart NR and the result is above. Tried 'npm rebuild' even though this is new install of NR, thinking it might address the issue. Rebuild reported successfully.

What device are you running NR on?
What version of NR and node.js (see your startup log)
How did you install NR?

Does that mean that is is now working?

It is strongly recommend to not run node-red as root.

Also, did you install using the install script? (Assuming Debian based os)

What is the problem that you are concerned about?

@zenofmud, Current NR version, and used the standard Pi script.

Well, initially I was wondering about the error... since I had never see that specific error before. But... I re-imaged the Micro SD card, re-installed NR, and the error disappeared. So there was some type of odd issue with npm install of the ui_led module.

However, I then discovered a conflict between the following modules:

node-red-contrib-ui-led@0.4.11

And...

@flowfuse/node-red-dashboard-2-ui-led@1.0.0

When the flowfuse module is installed, the original node-red-contrib-ui-led 'ui-led' module node is invisible. So all my flows that use the original ui-led node are now broken.

Is it not bad form to create a node that steps on another node? Not sure if the conflicting nodes were an element of the error I encountered, I doubt it... since I have both of the above modules installed without issue at this point, not withstanding that the original node-red-contrib-ui-led node is completely invisible in the editor... literally not selectable, and flow deploy reports such nodes as unknown... so clearly there is a conflict... that seems should not exist.

@Steve-Mcl, yes installed under root... but that is discussion for a another day. :slight_smile:

I have both node-red-contrib-ui-led and @flowfuse/node-red-dashboard-2-ui-led installed and working in Node-red 3.1.5.
I don't know which was installed first.

Nope... disregard what I thought was a conflict. There is something completely crazy going on with the hardware, am thinking now. In this case a (older) Pi model 3b. Even after I re-imaged SD card, install NR fresh, and loaded the basic setup I use for most of my flows, and I explicitly did not install any of the flowfuse stuff, the dashboard was refusing to open, but the editor seemed fine. So pull up top, and NR is slamming the Pi at 100% consistently. This is not normal behavior of course, I just don't have much running in NR.

I have used NR for years now, and only time I have seen NR drive the processor load to 100% is a badly structured flow, say a run-away loop or such. In this case, I have a couple of flows that only respond to UI actions via the dashboard, said flows have been stable for quite a long time. So I will pull another Pi I have and validate that the issue remains on this Pi model 3b.

I have used Pi devices since, oh, 2012... and other than one Pi Zero where the USB functionality failed, not a lot of issues. But... this Pi model 3b is one of the oldest Pi devices I have, other than my original Pi model 1a... which is desk art at this point, but still works. Maybe it is in the process of going south. When it acted up earlier to day... was just thinking a typical SD card issue, and when I re-imaged, I figure I would try out some of the newer modules... and at first thought that might be the issue but not at this point.

So what do we do with old Pi devices that have given up the ghost, so to speak? Bury them at Sea? In a hole in the backyard? Guess this one might be e-waste... maybe I will make a frame box for it, and hang it on the wall with a small sign that reads 'R.I.Pi' LMAO!!!

Did you use a new SD card?

1 Like

Actually I did both, used a new SD card in one test, and the original one in another. The result was the same, the Pi provided to be unstable, hence why I believe I may have a hardware issue.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.