Node-red-start on raspberry pi not working

It says the package nodered is not installed. That is the apt package, so that is correct.

If you are not using nodejs for anything other than node red then try @cymplecy's suggestion. If you are using nodejs for something else then, as @knolleary says, that will remove all your globally installed nodes so you might not want to do that.

I have tried the sudo rm -rf /usr/* and it did not help.

Is there a way to just completely remove NR, npm and nvm and install the latest version(s) from scratch (in the most ideal filing arrangement)? (tho 'nvm' has yet to do much for me).

Also, each time I try an upgrade the .bashrc file gets sooo big, it interferes with NR operation because I use exec nodes to call Cepstral swift for voice a lot (or omxplayer) and when there are many calls (like a verbal countdown to turn off the alarm upon re-entry) a large .bashrc file causes the ram to fill til the system crashes. So I often must restore a default .bashrc using cp /etc/skel/.bashrc ~/

I can tell it's too large when I launch LXTerminal and it takes 4 or 5 seconds to get a prompt.
st

The command you ran

wasnā€™t what anyone in this thread suggested. Did you check whatelse you were deleting prior to running it?

hmm- indeed - if you really did delete everything in /usr - you may indeed be in a world of pain any sec... (ie start over completely territory)... but fingers crossed you didn't.

So - the best thing (imho) from where you are now would be to remove nvm - and then just use the system nodejs... and then run the Node-RED upgrade script as per the Raspberry Pi docs - that will get you to nodejs 10 anyway and latest Node-RED that should then start and stop as required.

Do you mean that running the pi upgrade script makes .bashrc grow? That should not happen. What do you end up with in it?

If it happens again I'll post a copy of it. Unfortunately I don't have a 'bad' .bashrc example just now.

dceejay I only used the asterik to just (poorly) indicate I used both the commands, not that I used that exact command. My bad in miss leading you, sorry.

phew ! I think you'll find it is nvm that adds to .bashrc

As usual, you are correct as I just reinstalled nvm and the delay is back.

Why do you need nvm? it seems likely that it is the cause of many of your problems.

I think you're right Colin. I think I'll use npm and the pallet manager from here on in and delete nvm. I started using it because I read it would make managing NR "easier".
st

Apparently some strange new use of the word 'easier' with which I am not familiar.

1 Like

I took the statement to mean nvm makes life easier to manage upgrading as new (stable) node.js (and npm) versions are released and older v's reach eol. As I get more familiar with NR, I now believe their statement meant to manage versions of node.js on a given machine, to "hop" from one version to another, perhaps to test a new node or app across various (earlier) releases (but just my guess). They should however be more clear that it is not of value for the average Joe.