Ok, I'm missing something abut HTTPS settings

Does your usecase include accessing this node-red install from outside your local network? If no, setting up https really won’t bring much pros.

1 Like

No, I don't expose (or have got around to) anything to the net.

It was purely curiosity. As I keep being shown: that is dangerous and I shouldn't do things like that.

But it is who I am.

But to simply learn about it for the sake of learning, I am going to chalk that up to the too complicated basket.

I wouldn’t call it too complicated, sure it’s not the easiest thing in the world, but setting up HTTPS is simply not relevant for your situation. You still could using self signed openssl certificates and .local addresses if you’ve things set up to respond to that, but let’s encrypt is beyond the scope of your situation. Certificates like those are meant for domains (hence needing a static domain name), that are exposed to the internet. A domain name server (DNS) has to resolve your domain name back to the ip address of your system, and for the DNS to correctly resolve those you have to expose your system so those servers can actually find it.

But if your install just runs on a pi in your local network don’t bother with setting up HTTPS. The idea behind those certificates is that the connection can be verified as safe and encrypted. To do so, certificate authorities provide certificates and while setting up verify that the domain name matches the location (simplified explanation). Since those authorities cannot look inside your local network this way of setting up is simply not relevant. When you make use of self signed certificates you are your own certificate authority, but nobody can verify the quality and if the connection is really secure.

1 Like