Pi, Level shifter, ADS1115, MPX differential sensor wiring questions

This is something I have never ever needed to do. It also renders the modules useless for other projects!

you dont want to use the pi to read the data,
I use the ads1115 with the esp8266.
I do not use a voltage shifter its not needed. its sending a digital signal to the esp8266 with tasmota its a piece of cake.
@WBr you had helped me out now its my turn to pay the favor back.
no voltage divider is needed in this case.
2. pi's don't have an ADS
3. you have the ads its the ads1115.
Do you have Esp8266 with Tasmota installed on it?
Message me I can walk you through what i had done.
I used a solder bread board to make a circuit board. I soldered a 10 pin socket on board so i can remove and replace the ads1115 I then soldered wires from those pins to terminal blocks on the board and i have a terminal block kit for my esp8266's ( i like solid connections, brewing equipment vibrate)
here are a couple of picture examples

its easy to swap out an ads1115
you do have to have flash the tasmota files correctly to be able to use the ads1115 but it was pretty simple.

1 Like

not sure if i can send a zip file or not but i have the firmware for the esp8266 to allow the ads1115 ( I2c) to work on it in tasmota.
Tasmota also works on esp32's

That is very nice of you

Nope I don't!

Can the Esp8266 send things to the pi?

Yes with mqtt

1 Like

I mean, via USB? serial port?

This means you have to have the sensors relatively close to the Pi. MQTT is a far better solution in this case.

Yes, the sensor is close to the pi. Could you elaborate what you mean? and does usb connection work between pi and esp8266?

Sorry you got me when i was in bed heading to sleep.
I'll look if it connects via serial.
ive seen a few videos where you wright your own code and yes it will connect.
however the esp8266 is a wifi device. It's much easier using the wifi and connecting them together that way.
I need to wright up a how to on how I

1. flashed the Tasmota
  2. set up the wifi
  3. enabled mqtt
  4. set up mqtt paramaters
  5. set up inputs ie. Ds18b20's, i2c bus , etc.
    6 set up flows to gather the information.
  6. set up flows to control relays on the tasmota device.
    I am running the taps today at brewery, but ill take my laptop with me and start up a instruction.
    Just a little note, I had issues with all my ds18b20's connected to the pi. they slow the flows down if not causing node red to crash.
    using the esp8266's does a few things.
  7. using one esp for each device makes it modular and easier to add more devices.
  8. the esp does all the hard work of data receiving. and then sends a simple message to mqtt.
  9. it frees up a bunch of gpio pins on your Pi for other things.
    you could just use the esp's to gather the data, and then the pi can control everything itself. but you must remember if using PWM there is only 2 on the pi. each ESP has PWM as well. wich will allow further control of each device independently. you can then in return use the pi to monitor that things turn on and off , with the freed up GPIO's.
    May be redundant however Plan B and Plan C is important.
1 Like

This is a really good video to get a grasp on it.

For sure or if you want @WBr also could use PubSubClient library to connect your device (ESP8266/32) with MQTT, and use the ADS1x15 library to read analog values from ADS1115.

@WBr
here is the start of tutorial, hopefully this can get you going on installing tasmota onto the esp8266.
also another good note the Esp8266 has a pull up resistor built in, this can be enabled when using DS18b20's

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.