Publishing to a wildcard MQTT topic disconnects all MQTT nodes

While playing with MQTT in Node-RED, I accidentally configured an mqtt out node to publish to a topic with a wildcard: topic/+.

[{"id":"ca140429.24cef8","type":"inject","z":"3ac27de3.268a52","name":"","topic":"topic/+","payload":"","payloadType":"str","repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"x":230,"y":140,"wires":[["ec98b238.b0cea"]]},{"id":"ec98b238.b0cea","type":"mqtt out","z":"3ac27de3.268a52","name":"","topic":"","qos":"2","retain":"true","broker":"72393540.a2a3fc","x":410,"y":140,"wires":[]},{"id":"72393540.a2a3fc","type":"mqtt-broker","z":"","name":"","broker":"localhost","port":"1883","clientid":"","usetls":false,"compatmode":false,"keepalive":"60","cleansession":true,"birthTopic":"","birthQos":"0","birthPayload":"","closeTopic":"","closeQos":"0","closePayload":"","willTopic":"","willQos":"0","willPayload":""}]

When doing so, all MQTT in and out nodes within a project disconnected and reconnected after few seconds (causing retained messages to be injected into NR flow―which, ironically, was what I was looking for at the time). It seems to me like crashing an MQTT subsystem (?).

It doesn't look to me as intended―shouldn't mqtt out node check and prevent publishing to topics with + and # by raising an error, instead of crashing (disconnecting) all MQTT nodes?

Yes I would think a check should be in order - please raise an issue against the main project so we can track and fix.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.