Questions about "Sub-Flows" I may be missing something

I'm a bit stuck.

I get that subflows are a kind of Macro of a group of nodes.

They are limited to one input and I am not exactly sure about outputs. (But I'll look into that.)

So, I have a group of nodes which is repeated in multiple places in the flow.
Ideally this is where a subflow is handy, because if there is a problem with the code/functionality, you only have to change one, and that propagates to the rest.

Easy Peasy

Where I am getting stuck is that although I have a lot of duplicated stuff which in ways would be terrific to do this with, there are a lot of variables which are not the same.

In my set up these variables are variables set for that specific part/machine/thing.
So I have 10 machines, the function is repeated ten times (one for each machine) and can't be "macro'd" because the machine name is different in each.

I am starting to see how to get around this, but just want to ask, to help clear the confusion.

The one input is a sticking point for me.

I'll stop here because, for reasons unknown, the fog is actually thickening just now.

0 Likes

Hi,
I would stop calling it macro, subflows should be seen as a group of node that do a defined set of functionality. If these function-set are common to many machine they are good candidate to be reused and go in sub-flows as you said.
Variables can have Context scopes, they can be context, flow or global visibility.
Using your example I would put in different flow each machine with custom flow-variable and put there the subflow that read the flow variables

0 Likes

I called them the best name I could at the time.

There is one machine with many many many copies of similar/same code/nodes.

I am wanting to work out if/how I could use this "sub flow" thing to reduce the flow complexity.

So, I am still slightly confused.

0 Likes

what part are you confused about?
The suggestion to use flow variable to "customize" you subflow execution should solve your problem. Otherwise you can pass it as input.
I forgot to add that although the input node can only be one, it can be an array of different objects. You can use the join and split nodes for that.

0 Likes

Here is a very small part of how big my flows are:

You can see there is a lot f duplication.
BUT Rationalising that to "sub flows" - at this point in time - is beyond me.
Thus my asking.

I shall have to look at the structures and how the variables set.
Most of this is/was built as needed. (On the fly, if you will.)
As I got more RPIs I had to add another iteration of the code for the new machine.
It is just getting difficult to do updates and if I find a bug (well, between finding them) it is painful beyond belief that I have to edit so many nodes.
And so that could give rise to more bugs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

0 Likes

The easiest current approach would be to add the variables to your input msg's before calling the sub-flow. You can put a change node immediately before calling the sub-flow to add a new property to the msg with the data the sub-flow needs.

Alternatively, if the variable is independent of calling (e.g. a day/night variable), then use a global variable instead.

This was all covered in another recent thread.

0 Likes

The easiest way to find out how sublows can benefit you is to simply start. Start with a small repeatable block and create a subflow of that small piece of code. Then replace your original code with the subflow and take it from there. It's all a lot easier and more straightforward then it sounds.

0 Likes