šŸŽ‰ Refresh tokens in node-red-node-dropbox (Now published as v2.0.0)

Aha, I have to admit I didnt reed all of it.

@stephenn Did you try again?

I tried again then started getting error messages during Node Red Start referencing my August Lock nodes that were keeping Node Red from starting. I have no idea how one would have caused the error to other. After some time of panic, I was able to get a backup copy downloaded and reloaded so I am apprehensive about trying to do another attempt at Dropbox. I will wait until there is an option to simply load thru the Pallet Manager or I find a way to do backup to another app such as Google Drive or similar. In the meantime, I will just enter a token every 3 days manually. No big deal. I have the flow set to do backup automatically so it reminds me every 3 days when it fails.

1 Like

This is very strange but I noticed today that I was getting a warning message about my dropbox credentials. When I checked I saw that it reverted back to 1.1.1. Anyone have any ideas why it did that?

Strange, I can't imagine how node-RED could roll back to a previous app version unless you have restored a backup, or re-installed the app.
Was your previous Dropbox at v2.0.0?

How did you upgrade?

I was at 2.0.0 then I noticed it wasn't uploading any longer. When I checked it was back to 1.1.1. I haven't restored or reinstalled, so I'm not sure what caused the roll back. I redownloaded the files from GitHub and now it's back to 2.0.0. For some reason tonight I had to redo my OAuth again though. Not sure what's up with that.

I just followed the procedure listed above. Went to @BartButenaers fork on GitHub at node-red-web-nodes/dropbox at master Ā· bartbutenaers/node-red-web-nodes Ā· GitHub and grabbed the updated files. Then followed the directions in the configuration node to set it up.

Do you mean that you just replaced the files in node_modules? If you do that without telling npm then the next time you do anything with npm it will restore whatever is defined in package.json and package-lock.json. You need to update those somehow. Normally to install a package direct from github one would do something like
npm install bartbutenears/node-red-node-dropbox
but that doesn't seem to work, I guess because that node is in a collection of nodes. Perhaps @Paul-Reed or @BartButenaers can help.

npm install bartbutenears/node-red-node-dropbox didn't work for me either, and I just copied/pasted the 'raw' code from Bart's repo for the 3 files (as I described above).
It's not the easiest process, and a recipe for errors :rage:

I've already asked @dceejay if there was an alternative way to install...

OK, this seemed to work for me. Go into a directory outside of .node-red (I used my home directory ~) then
git clone https://github.com/bartbutenaers/node-red-web-nodes
Which downloads those nodes to the folder node-red-web-nodes under wherever you are. Then go into node-red-web-nodes/dropbox and run
npm install
Then go back to .node-red and run
npm install your_folder/node-red-web-nodes/dropbox
Then restart node-red and refresh the browser.

So for me on linux I did

cd ~
git clone https://github.com/bartbutenaers/node-red-web-nodes
cd node-red-web-nodes/dropbox
npm install
cd ~/.node-red
npm install ~/node-red-web-nodes/dropbox
node-red-stop;node-red-start

and refresh the browser. Do not delete the node-red-web-nodes folder.

[Edit] Once it has been released to npm then

npm remove node-red-node-dropbox
npm install node-red-node-dropbox

and you can delete the node-red-web-nodes folder.

4 Likes

That worked perfectly! Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Colin could you confirm if you tried Bart's fork? if so, any feedback pls?
Before submitting the PR to update Dropbox, it would be good to know if it's working for those who have tried it, and any glitches that need fixing first.

Thanks

1 Like

No, I haven't tried it, just confirmed how to install it.

2 Likes

I only update manually when I have made changes. And that's only on a hobby basis.
It runs on 3 different RPI's without any problems-

2 Likes

Ah, you are talking about running the backup routine that's shown above, and using the updated dropbox node.

That's good to hear, thanks for the feedback.

Iā€™ve been using it for quite some time and it works perfectly. The only hiccup I had was with it downgrading when I did an update to my Rpi but once that was sorted itā€™s been churning out backups on the daily for weeks now. I even had to use one a few weeks ago to fix something I broke.

1 Like

For those following this topic, I have created the pull request yesterday:

4 Likes

For info, node-red-node-dropbox has now been updated to v2 :tada:

The update is a breaking change, as it uses the latest dropbox api as described in the first post in this topic, and should mean that now dropbox is a viable option for node-RED users to store their data.

Many thanks to @BartButenaers for his patience and time in creating this important update.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.