Safely accessing Node-RED over the Internet

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. It's made me realize I need to update my own popular thread on running node-red on a vps. TLS and general security has changed allot from my post in may 2020.

One thing I've not seen covered here is that having your service online is a wack a mole job. There is no set it and forget it if you do this stuff yourself.

Choose your favourite web server (my preference is generally NGINX) and configure it as a "reverse proxy". As such, it sits between users and the Node-RED service and acts as an intermediary for all web (and websocket) traffic.

I Don't expect you to write a howto guide on this but in 2022 I learned allot about NEVER TRUST THE USER!!!! when it comes to TLS and nginx.

In my howto from may 2021 my certbot creates:

ssl_certificate     /etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/fullchain.pem;
    ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/privkey.pem;
    ssl_protocols       TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2;
    ssl_ciphers         HIGH:!aNULL:!MD5;

This will no longer cut it! A man in the middle can break TLSv1 and TLSv1.1 along with the use of downgrading ssl_ciphers now. I had one of my personal use, reporting systems hijacked while I was asleep by this method. I noticed the odd traffic the next morning and the lack of reports from the other device 1/2 way across the country.

To any one reading this thread 2 times a day morning/bed time I check/glance at my logs. And when I take my one 10 day vacation in the woods with no cell or internet access I have at least one nightmare about getting took.

If you are not seeing this regular.

Your not doing your job

The bots/scripts have gotten so bad and the knowledge required to do a mediocre job of security has increased so much that I will no longer bother to Write a Howto setup a (insert stack here) For whom ever thinks they can follow a howto and never touch it again is just a roll of the dice away from getting took.

Now for a howto I have to explain how to setup the new SSL stuff (example)

ssl_certificate     /***/***/gluster-***/***-x/docker/host/service/letsencrypt-certbot/etc/letsencrypt/live/***.***.com/fullchain.pem; # edit domain name
    ssl_certificate_key /***/***/gluster-***/***/docker/host/service/letsencrypt-certbot/etc/letsencrypt/live/***.***.com/privkey.pem; # edit domain name

# Only return Nginx in server header
    server_tokens off;

ssl_dhparam         /****/***/******/***/***/dhparam.pem; 

ssl_protocols TLSv1.2 TLSv1.3;
    ssl_ciphers ECDHE-RSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:DHE-RSA-AES256-CCM:DHE-RSA-AES256-CCM8:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:DHE-RSA-AES128-CCM:DHE-RSA-AES128-CCM8:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256;
    ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;
    ssl_session_tickets off;
    ssl_session_timeout 1d;
    ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:10m;
    ssl_buffer_size 8k;
    ssl_stapling on;
    ssl_stapling_verify on;
    add_header X-Content-Type-Options nosniff;
    add_header Content-Security-Policy "frame-ancestors 'self' '***.com' '***.***.com';";

## Strict Transport Security (HSTS): Yes
    add_header Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=15552001; includeSubdomains; preload";

Then tell them once a week they will need to read about TLS1.2 and TLS1.3 to see if they are broken and to check all them ssl ciphers once a week to see if they are broken or rather secure enough to keep using.

I'm not perfect. I make mistakes. I'm not a security expert. If you have any thing running node-red on the internet and it is used for any mission critical infrastructure. HIRE a security expert to test your setup. Pay the consultation and yearly monitoring fee!. based on the size expect to pay a few grand.

That is absolutely true. You have to keep things current, updated.

And the reason there isn't one is that there isn't a singular approach. There are many approaches depending on your needs.

However, there is a section (3 actually) in the uibuilder documentation that covers some of this stuff. Overview of general web app security with some specifics for Node-RED and uibuilder (totallyinformation.github.io).

No, TLS <v1.2 hasn't been advisable for a few years now.

This is why I strongly recommend that people don't rely on a single level of security.

If running your own server, set it to only ever respond to traffic from the Cloudflare servers for example and force everyone to go through Cloudflare because they will add another layer of security on top. Then even if you make a mistake, Cloudflare - which is obviously constantly reviewed and updated - will protect you. Even the free tier will do this for you. Go one step further and secure your service behind Cloudflare's Zero Trust platform if you need/want a login for up to 50 people on the free tier.

Also don't run obvious services on obvious ports. SSH for example will be attacked on a brand new server on the default port within 20-30 seconds at most. Move it to a different, high-numbered port and you've immediately got rid of most of the automated attacks and quite a few manual ones too.

Yes, that is correct, if you are responsible for a service people are paying for or you are protecting people's information or systems, you aren't just responsible, you are also accountable. Pay some money and plan on spending money on security checks at least every few years or after major changes. Not only better for everyone concerned but also a LOT cheaper than having to pay out when something goes wrong.

But for home use, that isn't really feasible, which is why I recommend making use of excellent services like Cloudflare's free tier. I actually really wish they had a voluntary tier or a low-cost tier, I'd happily pay a few $ a month for the range of services they provide. Of course, they make their money from big enterprise so their tiers go from generous free to eye watering (for home use) in a single step. But for me, they've time and again proven their worth and much more. I also now have all my domain registrations with them since they offer them at cost prices.

Sheesh, I should get sponsored by them! :rofl: