Support for FontAwesome 5

I see that there is support for FontAwesome 4.7 in the Dashboard which is already very nice. With version 5 however, there are a lot more icons which are very useful for home automation purposes - e.g. door open and closed, lightbulb on and off, alarm on and off..., just to name the most obvious.

Is there a plan to support FontAwesome 5 in the near future? It would give a great benefit on the end users side.

Best,
Sascha

Hi - no - there is no current plan to move to Font Awesome 5.

Just to expand on that, FA5 is not a simple dropin replacement for FA4. Thry have completely changed how it works and there is no easy way to migrate between them. So it isn't the case that we choose not to upgrade... We simply cannot upgrade without a lot of work.

HI dceejay and knolleary,
thank you very much for your fast replies.

OK, I was hoping it would be close to simple as using a new cdn path or something like that but if it is a bunch of hard work I understand that it is very low in your priority list.

Best,
Sascha

You could of course potentially CDN it in using a ui_template node for specific of your own widgets.

(In the past I have also used the file-open and file-closed icons rotated by 90 degrees for and open and closed door effect :slight_smile:

1 Like