Switch node - MQTT like wildcards for switching

I'd be happy with that. Though I think it should be * and ? where ? is 1 character and * is any number. I think this is the most common form of wildcards?

2 Likes

I always liked the VB like operator. Often wished it were in C#, JS etc

see Nick's original comment (post 31) about burden of choice being detrimental.
"What would Jony Ive do ?"

or just use multiple MQTT nodes - each for its relevant group of topics - ie use the wildcard in subscription as god (andysc :wink: ) intended. They can all share the same connection after all so it's no greater burden on the system.

3 Likes

Create a new wearable that nobody wanted, hype it up and make billions from it :grinning:

Yes it would be nice to make the choice ourselves. So you can add multiple i can choose a different stlye.

"I refer the honourable gentleman to the previous answer" about too much choice...

And I respond there is nothing wrong with choice's

1 Like

I'm not a fan of that sentiment (nor of walled-gardens in general) tbh Dave. Choice is good. Its why we have all the options we do already :slight_smile:

Anyhow, we are veering off topic again :smiley:

1 Like

Now there's a thought - we could add the button and charge millions ! or remove it and charge even more...

2 Likes

Ok - wrong analogy (actually not wrong..) - it's a well studied area -

1 Like

Choice can also lead to better decisions

ā€œChoosing from larger assortments tends to increase choice difficulty and, consequently, can cause consumers to rely more on accessible justifications when making their choice,ā€ researchers report in their paper, published in the Journal of Consumer Research. ā€œAs a result, we argue that choosing from a larger assortment should lead consumers to select options that are easier to justify.ā€
More choice leads to better choices - Futurity

The importance of choice vs opinionated design is a huuuuuge can of worms - lets not go there :rofl:

If I can point us back to post #64 for a minute,...

As you guys are not keen on the whole MQTT filter proposal, should we move this in a different direction Dave?

I think you'll find that Nick's carefully informed but opinionated design is what has helped make Node-RED what it is over 8 years :sunglasses:
and yes let's move it over.

1 Like

Damn straight. :mage:

PS I hope you don't think i was implying anything there - I certainly did not mean to dis anyone nor our beloved node-red (not my style). I simply hope we can all fairly agree and disagree on points of implementation now and again without offending anyone otherwise there is little point to discussion TBH.

2 Likes

New thread soon.

Suggested title: "Switch node - wildcard option for routing"

1 Like

Hush, don't give away my business plan for FlowForge

1 Like

sorry Mr e'lon-ary

Nah, it'll need to be something make of shiny metal and plastic if you want to get the big bucks!

Or maybe dig a tunnel under Birmingham and persuade people that driving cars through it at 30mph is a revolutionary transport method or something (more the or something since Musk seems to have already pulled that jest in Las Vegas).

I think that node-red smart glasses sound suitably futuristic :grinning: I expect a small cut if you do make billions out of that suggestion of course.

1 Like

Continued here

Thread closed :wave: