Switch only on true for a change-over of the output

Hi There, I'm quite new to NR and I'm trying to use a pulse switch on the GPIO board to output a JSON dimmer value to my dimmers. What I want is: On the first push of the switch the output is 1 and on the second push of the switch the output is zero. I sound simple but I can't make it work.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There is a toggle switch node that would get around this problem. :wink:

But I'm guessing there will be more than 1 GUI button to control things.

The pulse switch. As is button?

Going to the next step you will need to use the thing called context.

This will suffice but also has a bit of extra code in it also.
It goes in a function node.

var x = context.get("counter") || 0;
if (msg.payload == 0)
{
    context.set("counter",0);
    msg.payload = 0;
    return msg;
}
if (msg.payload == 1)
{
    context.set("counter",1);
    msg.payload = 1;
    return msg;
}

if (x === 0)
{
    msg.payload = 1;
} else
if (x === 1)
{
    msg.payload = 0;
}

x = (x + 1) % 2;

context.set("counter",x);

return msg;

The extra part is that normally you send something as the msg.payload to toggle the output.
But if you send a 0 or 1 it forces the output to be either OFF or ON.

So as long as you don't send a msg.payload of either 0 or 1 it should work fine.

Oh, you will/may have to edit/change what is sent for the ON and OFF conditions.
You haven't said what you send to the GPIO pin.

Thanks for your reply and I think I almost there but whenI use the toggle it goes ON and OFF. The functions output is then 1 or 0 and it doesn't only change when the toggle goes to ON. Do I miss something?

Can you state what the input value is from your GPIO and what output you expect?

e.g.

• is the action of the switch momentary (i.e. does the GPIO send a 1 followed by 0? does the GPIO send a 0 followed by 1? )
  • is the action of the switch a toggle? (i.e. does first press send a 1 and second press send a 0?)
  • What do you want so be the result of the flow - send strings like "ON" and "OFF"? send true / false? Send 1 / 0 ?

In other words, please be specific.

This should work, each press toggles output 1 then 0 then 1 then 0

[{"id":"8a9d0c48438c6c7d","type":"inject","z":"366a43adb328cf95","name":"","props":[{"p":"payload"},{"p":"topic","vt":"str"}],"repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","payload":"1","payloadType":"num","x":250,"y":980,"wires":[["c0a46a18812e14e5"]]},{"id":"c0a46a18812e14e5","type":"change","z":"366a43adb328cf95","name":"","rules":[{"t":"set","p":"payload","pt":"msg","to":"switch_toggle","tot":"flow"},{"t":"set","p":"payload","pt":"msg","to":"$$.payload = 1 ? 0 : 1","tot":"jsonata"},{"t":"set","p":"switch_toggle","pt":"flow","to":"payload","tot":"msg"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":420,"y":980,"wires":[["afed0c6bfa9fbd91"]]},{"id":"afed0c6bfa9fbd91","type":"debug","z":"366a43adb328cf95","name":"debug 93","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"false","statusVal":"","statusType":"auto","x":600,"y":980,"wires":[]}]

[edit] misread, edited for use with a input of a gpio.

I'm not sure what you mean by your reply.

But how the output works:
(From the code I posted)

if (x === 0)
{
    msg.payload = 1;  //  This is the payload for ON
} else
if (x === 1)
{
    msg.payload = 0;  //  This is the payload for OFF
}

So you edit those two lines to be what you want to send to the GPIO pin.

Also: To clarify.

You only send something like X into the function node (well: that's what I use) and the ouput sends alternate 0 and 1 each time you send X into the node.
IF you want to force the output, you send a 0 or 1 to force it OFF or ON respectively.

Yes, thanks that works!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.