I did use the "TCP Request" node. I sent the command string with the command text and then a separate string with the control characters, and many other combinations. I still got nothing from the output of "TCP Request".
I was trying to get feedback from the request as to what the problem was. I used wireshark to look at the data I went around that for a bit. I could not get hyperterminal to work so it wasn't something which I could see that my terminating characters were there or not. Finally I found a forum on Google where Nick was discussing the same problem. Light-bulb moment !
My request is very simple, but perhaps not the solution. Typically, and in this situation, you need to send a string command, let's say. The command in a TCP Output in Text mode vs. Binary Mode and can be a checkbox or switch setting... Also, you can possibly include prefix/suffix for your messages. This is where you would fill in the control characters, or possibly even select them from a dropdown box. This way you just send the text values and the TCP Output could.. not saying should... address the issue of non-printable control characters within the context of your send command. ('STX'msg.payload'ETX' for example) You can do this as a rule in most terminal emulation programs. Hyperterminal, for example.
Or, perhaps to address a more complete info tab just include the fact that if this is not working for any reason, just take a look to see that you have treated the text control characters correctly as the inject or just putting control characters in the msg.payload will treat them as only text characters. And a quick blurb about the simple line of code in the function to resolve that... or both. It's just a suggestion.