Using Google Home Mini without internet connection?

Hi there,

a Google Home Mini found its way in our smarthome, quite unexpected. Nice thing, lots of fun playing with it.
When talking to my wife she has a strict opinion with the new big, little brother: no connection to any server. Hm.
I tried severel things but did not success in using Google Home Mini without connection to the net. node-red-contrib-google-home-notifier-offline looks fine at a first glance, but it needs an internet connection even if the *.mp3 file lies on a local hdd.

Is anyone using Google Home (Mini) without an internet access for the device itself? Any ideas are welcome.

This is my little "Hello World" for testing purpose:

[{"id":"bfa7d1b7.677b3","type":"inject","z":"7bfcfddd.bba1a4","name":"","topic":"","payload":"Hello World","payloadType":"str","repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"x":620,"y":160,"wires":[["575a1a6d.fcf984"]]},{"id":"575a1a6d.fcf984","type":"change","z":"7bfcfddd.bba1a4","name":"","rules":[{"t":"set","p":"emitVolume","pt":"msg","to":"50","tot":"str"},{"t":"set","p":"cacheFolder","pt":"msg","to":"/tmp/ghcache","tot":"str"},{"t":"set","p":"fileServerPort","pt":"msg","to":"8081","tot":"str"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":810,"y":160,"wires":[["b696c39b.972dc","d410b3c.60445d"]]},{"id":"b696c39b.972dc","type":"debug","z":"7bfcfddd.bba1a4","name":"","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"true","targetType":"full","x":1030,"y":200,"wires":[]},{"id":"d410b3c.60445d","type":"googlehome-notifier-offline","z":"7bfcfddd.bba1a4","server":"6225c7fd.483ee8","name":"","x":1110,"y":110,"wires":[]},{"id":"6225c7fd.483ee8","type":"googlehome-config-node-offline","z":"","ipaddress":"192.168.178.48","name":"","language":"de"}]

If you wanna use the mini without internet, it's also not necessary to plug it in and you can save power :slight_smile:

1 Like

Argh.
One thing is missing in my explanation: the Home Mini should just speak to us (i.e. "Enable warn light because the window in the bath should be closed."). We do not want to speak to the mini ("Execute flow ABC")

Isn't getting the mini and not connecting it kinda like getting a car and never using it because your afraid of getting in a accident? If you only going to use as a speaker, get a speaker, bluetooth or not.

Your question is not related to node-red.

Also, it's very easy to find out, that the only thing the device can speak without internet is something like "I dont have internet"...

Use something with an offline tts engine (eg raspi)