Using serial port node in embedded Node-RED Electron App

Hello!

I've been trying to embed node red directly into an Electron app. Unfortunately, the flow we are using relies on the serial port nodes to work correctly, but I cannot get the serial port nodes to work in the embedded instance.

If I run the file directly (not called through the Electron instance), the serial port nodes appear as expected and work correctly.

However, when I launch the Electron app and it calls the same file that loaded them correctly, node red tells me that the serial port nodes are missing. node-red-node-serialport is still loaded in the pallette manager, but it has an error:

Other nodes are still successfully installed.

I have also tried this on the electron-node-red app (https://github.com/natcl/electron-node-red). The app will let me install the serial port from the pallette manager and use them in flows, but if I stop the app and restart it, the same issue happens.

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I don't know about electron, but what do you see in the node-red log when you restart? The log should start with the Welcome to node red message.

Hi Colin,

This is what it says when I launch the file outside of Electron:

17 May 12:39:06 - [info] Node-RED version: v0.20.5
util.js:256
17 May 12:39:06 - [info] Node.js  version: v10.15.3
17 May 12:39:06 - [info] Windows_NT 10.0.17763 x64 LE
17 May 12:39:07 - [info] Loading palette nodes
17 May 12:39:08 - [warn] rpi-gpio : Raspberry Pi specific node set inactive
17 May 12:39:08 - [info] Context store  : 'default' [module=memory]
17 May 12:39:08 - [info] User directory : c:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI/.node-red/
17 May 12:39:08 - [warn] Projects disabled : set editorTheme.projects.enabled=true to enable
17 May 12:39:08 - [info] Flows file     : c:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\.node-red\flows_lcjvalen-w10-1.json
17 May 12:39:08 - [warn] 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Your flow credentials file is encrypted using a system-generated key.

If the system-generated key is lost for any reason, your credentials
file will not be recoverable, you will have to delete it and re-enter
your credentials.

You should set your own key using the 'credentialSecret' option in
your settings file. Node-RED will then re-encrypt your credentials
file using your chosen key the next time you deploy a change.

17 May 12:39:08 - [info] Starting flows
17 May 12:39:08 - [info] Started flows
17 May 12:39:08 - [info] serial port COM3 opened at 57600 baud 8N1

From Electron:

17 May 12:41:13 - [info] Node-RED version: v0.20.5                                                                                                                                                                            17 May 12:41:13 - [info] Node.js  version: v10.11.0
17 May 12:41:13 - [info] Windows_NT 10.0.17763 x64 LE
17 May 12:41:17 - [info] Loading palette nodes
17 May 12:41:19 - [warn] rpi-gpio : Raspberry Pi specific node set inactive
17 May 12:41:19 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
17 May 12:41:19 - [warn] [node-red-node-serialport/serialport] Error: The module '\\?\C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\build\Release\bindings.node' was compiled against a different Node.js version using NODE_MODULE_VERSION 64. This version of Node.js requires NODE_MODULE_VERSION 69. Please try re-compiling or re-installing the module (for instance, using `npm rebuild` or `npm install`).
17 May 12:41:19 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
17 May 12:41:19 - [info] Context store  : 'default' [module=memory]
17 May 12:41:19 - [info] User directory : C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI/.node-red/
17 May 12:41:19 - [warn] Projects disabled : set editorTheme.projects.enabled=true to enable
17 May 12:41:19 - [info] Flows file     : C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\.node-red\flows_lcjvalen-w10-1.json
17 May 12:41:19 - [warn]

If the system-generated key is lost for any reason, your credentials file will not be recoverable, you will have to delete it and re-enter your credentials.

You should set your own key using the 'credentialSecret' option in  your settings file. Node-RED will then re-encrypt your credentials file using your chosen key the next time you deploy a change.

17 May 12:41:19 - [info] Waiting for missing types to be registered:
17 May 12:41:19 - [info]  - serial-port (provided by npm module node-red-node-serialport)
17 May 12:41:19 - [info]  - serial in (provided by npm module node-red-node-serialport)
17 May 12:41:19 - [info] To install any of these missing modules, run:
17 May 12:41:19 - [info]   npm install <module name>
17 May 12:41:19 - [info] in the directory:
17 May 12:41:19 - [info]   C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI/.node-red/

I see the error about the incorrect NODE_MODULE_VERSION compiling the @serialport module. Is that something easily fixable, or do I need to roll things back?

Thanks
Jeremy

Googling around, it appears Electron v4.0.4 and later uses NODE_MODULE_VERSION 69 to compile the nodejs modules. I rolled the Electron version back to v4.0.3 and am now getting the following errors:

17 May 13:48:56 - [info] Node-RED version: v0.20.5
17 May 13:48:56 - [info] Node.js  version: v10.11.0
17 May 13:48:56 - [info] Windows_NT 10.0.17763 x64 LE
17 May 13:48:57 - [info] Loading palette nodes
17 May 13:48:58 - [warn] rpi-gpio : Raspberry Pi specific node set inactive
17 May 13:48:58 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
17 May 13:48:58 - [warn] [node-red-node-serialport/serialport] Error: Could not locate the bindings file. Tried:
 → C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\build\bindings.node
 → C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\build\Debug\bindings.node
 → C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\build\Release\bindings.node
 → C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\out\Debug\bindings.node
 → C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\Debug\bindings.node
 → C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\out\Release\bindings.node
 → C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\Release\bindings.node
 → C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\build\default\bindings.node
 → C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\compiled\10.11.0\win32\x64\bindings.node
 → C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\addon-build\release\install-root\bindings.node
 → C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\addon-build\debug\install-root\bindings.node
 → C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\addon-build\default\install-root\bindings.node
 → C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\lib\binding\node-v64-win32-x64\bindings.node
17 May 13:48:58 - [warn] ------------------------------------------------------
17 May 13:48:58 - [info] Context store  : 'default' [module=memory]
17 May 13:48:58 - [info] User directory : C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI/.node-red/
17 May 13:48:58 - [warn] Projects disabled : set editorTheme.projects.enabled=true to enable
17 May 13:48:58 - [info] Flows file     : C:\Users\jvalentine\Documents\GitHub\pal-masking\Med EP UI\.node-red\flows_lcjvalen-w10-1.json
17 May 13:48:59 - [warn]

If the system-generated key is lost for any reason, your credentials
file will not be recoverable, you will have to delete it and re-enter
your credentials.

You should set your own key using the 'credentialSecret' option in
your settings file. Node-RED will then re-encrypt your credentials
file using your chosen key the next time you deploy a change.

17 May 13:48:59 - [info] Starting flows
17 May 13:48:59 - [info] Started flows

I fixed it.

I first installed node-gyp globally (npm i node-gyp -g) and then I deleted the following from node_modules:

node-red-node-serialport
@serialport
serialport

I then re-installed node-red-node-serialport (npm i node-red-node-serialport --save) and it worked.

Thanks for your help!
Jeremy

1 Like