"Wifi scan" (python scrpit) different outputs from different machines

I read over the MAC's, it is the same. It is early for me.

I found a highly inappropriate SSID name at work a few years ago that I had to report! I don't think that people understand that it is public. :cowboy_hat_face:

Ok so a couple of things

1. Can not understand why you would give out a different IP Range on the TimePi rather than just bridging and letting the main router handle all the DHCP - i assume you have a valid reason for that. So it would have an IP range in the correct subnet for the main router on its ethernet interface and then is giving out through (presumably) DHCP another subnet on its Wireless interface

2. If the TelePi is a RPZ then it only has wireless so it connects to the main router through that - are you saying you have it also advertising itself as a WAP with the same SSID as the main router i.e. it is acting as an extender - if that is the case then that is probably where it is coming from - i can not be certain how the PI acts as an extender but it would have to be on a different channel to the main unit - not sure if it would spoof the main units wireless MAC or not - probably would

Craig

Hey Craig.

1 - I have a MAIN WAP for devices to connect to to access everywhere. That is the modem/router.
The RPI (2B) (TimePi) is connected to the router via Cat-5. Fixed IP.
The RPI is a WAP but that only has access to LOCAL stuff. It has DHCP on those IPs.
That RPI also scans to make sure my main WAP is up. That way, if the main WAP goes down, I will be told.

2 - The RPZ is connected to the main WAP.
Since it isn't doing too much I thought I would ask it to also scan for visible WAPs.
This is kind of good because the RPI can't see if its own WAP is up/down.
So the RPZ sees both the main WAP and the RPI WAP.
(scanning the main one is a bit redundant, but hey, since it gets it in the list......)
All was working fine.
The RPI would see the main WAP.
The RPZ would see the main WAP and the RPI WAP.

So: Given they both see the main WAP and I haven't changed anything.

Why was the RPZ reporting that it is seeing two occurrences of the main WAP?
It never did before. It has only just started doing that.

This is/was annoying because it didn't used to and I was looking at things to do with WAP reports and getting the second/extra list was throwing a spanner in the works.

Both the RPZ and RPI use the same python script to scan/list the WAPs the see.
So the question remains (well past tense now) why was one seeing two entries of the main WAP and the other not?

Sure one was saying the main WAP was advertising itself on two frequencies.
But if that was picked up by one RPI, why not the other?

Clearer?

nope read what i said.

I assume you are esentially using the RPZ as a range extender, it therefore just propagates the same SSID as the main router - it can not do that on the same channel that it receives the broadcasts from the main router on, so it does them on another channel - you would have to check but when using the RPZ in this mode i assume this is what it is doing - it only has a single wireless chip and can not send and receive on the same channel at the same time

I am guessing that in this mode it just clones the MAC address of the wireless interface as well as the SSID

Craig

here is an interesting discussion on some of the limitations

and another excellent article that explains the steps involved (so would let you check your config files etc)

Thanks Craig, but as I said I am not using it as a "wifi extender".

So as nice as they may be to read, they aren't relevant at this point.

To add insult to injury:
Said RPI (TimePi) had a power failure. Not critical.

But since then, the WAP isn't coming online.

Gotta love computers.

This thread appears to have strayed away from Node-REDā€¦

Looks to me like the router changed channels and for some reason the ESSID is still cached.

Nearly a day old....

1 Like

Deleted - sorry