Accessing the runtime settings from a function node

Hi,
Another quick obscure question (Sorry!) Is it possible to access the settings (from settings.js) in a function node?

I am trying to use the httpAdmin api to get current list of flows and I need the port for the URL.

Thanks

You need the port to interact with the API. You can ofcourse grep the port from the file directly, eg;
grep -i uiport settings.js

Thanks for the suggestion. Does this mean the settings are not exposed to function nodes?

Env variables are. So you could set PORT before you launch node-red then it will run on that PORT and you can access it via a function...

chrome_SBkNyZqYwV

Aha thanks......I just noticed this in another thread

Should This work? ie in a function node, access RED.settings?

No. When I say 'in a node' I mean a node's runtime code has access to the RED.settings object.

The code inside a Function node does not.

1 Like

There are lots of ways to get at the port for the Editor/admin API. For example, check whether a function node can access the browser window data which includes the current url.

Or you could pass the port to a global var from within setttings.js. Similarly you could also set the port environment variable from within settings.js as well if you don't want to mess with it externally.

1 Like

Aha...ok thanks

Thanks all.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.