Add a way to reset the new debug node counter (v3 feature) via a msg property

The new feature (message counter as status) of debug node in 3.0.0 beta 1 is awesome but we can't reset it to 0.

Maybe with a "msg.reset" input like at delay node or join node... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks!!

2 Likes

I second this FR :slight_smile:

I would personally avoid msg.reset as it may get caught with a msg.reset intended for another node?
e.g. msg.debugCountReset or msg.countReset might be better ?

Open to debate of course.

4 Likes

And a simple word like msg.clear? :thinking:

1 Like

I'd like to see the status message appear after the counter - best of both worlds!

1 Like

Maybe if the "message count" would a independent checkbox, we could combinate it with a custom status.

1 Like

I'm thinking that maybe a case for the use of an underscore e.g. msg._reset (or even double underscore) to indicate some sort of private message only intended for the debug node

Just throwing it in for discussion

Has same issue as using msg.reset - could end up in a namespace type conflict

1 Like

rather than a msg I would say the click to pause output button should pause the count, and then also clear the count when you re-enable.

(and no to combining with status words as you then get into should it be before words or after words and next it will be variable substitution and ... :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

This was all discussed at great length in the original issue/PR.

I think using the button doesn't give the flexibility needed - it is a manual reset. If you wanted to have a 'count of messages since some event happened', you'd want to be able to programmatically reset it in the flow.

Without bike-shedding it too much, we can add support for msg.resetCount - succinct, to the point, and not going to clash with existing use of msg.reset.

4 Likes

... but it's Friday... and I like bikes.... and sheds... :innocent:

4 Likes

But I've never really liked the combination. Maybe due to the school trauma of having my bike lock stolen but the bike left behind! :rofl:

2 Likes

I must be living in a sheltered world as I'd never heard of 'bike-shedding' before today. :biking_woman: :biking_man:

2 Likes

Well as long as it's not related to tractor sheds we may be ok... (but I'm not going to search google just in case...!!!)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.