Android - termux - Playstore no longer a recommended install source

Just a note that the Android documentation should probably be changed to recommend F-Droid install of termux only.
I just installed from the play store, and got it working with a little jiggery-pokery, but as per here:

it seems that the playstore termux is not maintained, and can't be because the user login for maintaining it is lost!
So before I get too far, I'm going to uninstall termux and try the F-Droid route. I'll report if it does not go significantly more easily.
br,
Simon

I don't think that is saying that you need to uninstall termux, just that you have to change the package sources.

agree, it offers a workaround... but probably cleaner to start again. After a full upgrade, when I installed OpenSSH and sshed into it, I got a lot of red text telling me I was running the playstore version, and how I should not be!!! I just think the Documentation section in NodeRed could be modified to highlight that the Playstore version is not ideal...

I always prefer F-Droid as app store before google-Droid.
I know, nothing is safe anymore, but ...

Experience of installing Node-Red on Android using termux from F-Droid:
(This is a more in-depth writeup. The below is just my experience of doing it...)

1/ Download F-Droid from the original website, and chrome should ask if you want to install it.
2/ In F-Droid, search Termux. Install the one just called 'Termux'. (at the point of installation, my random Android on some chinese tablet asked me to authorise F-Droid to install things...).
3/ since I will try to run node-red at boot, I also installed Termux:boot - this prompted 'Harmfull app blocked', but you can then 'install anyway'.
4/ open termux.
5/ to make things easier, install openssh (I read here):

apt update
apt upgrade
apt install openssh

set a password, then run sshd:

passwd
  type pwd twice
sshd &
ifconfig

now you can ssh in to cut & paste more easily..
5/ Install node-red:
ssh into your new android device at IP:8022 - use root and the pwd entered above.

apt install coreutils nano nodejs
npm i -g --unsafe-perm node-red

run node-red to test:

node-red

Check you can get to it from the outside, and then use ctrl-C to kill it.

5/ IF you want to start at boot:
Run termux:boot once - it claims start on boot rights the first time you run it.
termux:boot runs scripts in ./termux/boot/ - create this folder.

for SSH,. I created ./termux/boot/10-ssh.sh containing:

#!/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/sh
termux-wake-lock
sshd

for node-red, I created ./termux/boot/20-nr.sh containing:

#!/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/sh
node /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/node-red

NOTE: The shebang in the installed start script 'node-red' is incompatible with termux:boot - for the explanation see here. The above command line apparently overides that, and so works.

6/ Reboot your android device, and confirm that you can access both ssh and node-red.

(I did this on a chinese Teclast T10 tablet (Android 7) with 4G ram and 64G flash - and may likely use it as a pre-configured backup Node-Red as a standby for my Rpi. As well as a browser interface bolted to the wall home control).

br,

Simon

Thanks for that @btsimonh. I have added those notes to my termux info for future use.

Was a pain to find :). But the linked explanation makes complete sense, and I'm so glad someone wrote it! I would NEVER have found that. Thinking about it, the tablet I'm using is actually more powerful than my RPi and OrangePi Zero I currently run the home from :).

1 Like

If anyone wants to create a pull request for the docs along these lines, please go ahead.

Done, pls review.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.