Await delay(1000) - error in array

Hi,
I try to use await delay(1000) into this function

const delay = ms => new Promise(res => context.set("timer", setTimeout(res, ms)));

//x is an array
const x = msg.payload;

x.forEach(element => {
    const valore = (element.value)
    const id = (element.id)
    msg.topic = "UPDATE Variables SET Valore = '" + valore + "' WHERE Id = " + id
    msg.pass = 2
    node.status(valore + " " + id)
    node.send(msg)

await delay(1000);
}
);

but I have this error:

How can I fix it?

Have you tried the "quick fix" (hint, the arrow function must be async - just like the tip says)

That said...

This is NOT the node-red / low-code way. Get rid of the async await & simply send all your messages out of the function without delay then pass the msg through a delay node set to rate limit 1 msg per sec.

2 Likes

And better still, create a more efficient SQL update statement that does it all in 1 statement.

3 Likes

Yes,
I tried the "quick fix" and the function works but without delay ......

It's what I did until today, then I thought this method was better (have a break before instead after) .....

You're right, but this is the better that I can do ....

Ah ok, yes. You cannot delay an array forEach. You would need to use a regular for loop

What @TotallyInformation says is a single statement.

Instead of looping one by one, create a single string with all the update statements and then execute it. This is extremely fast.

eg.

const input = msg.payload;
const output = ""

input.forEach(el => {
    output += `UPDATE Variables SET Valore = '${el.value}' WHERE Id = ${el.id};`
})

msg.topic = output
return msg

Thank you so much!

Note that if your SQL DB supports them, prepared statements are typically FAR more efficient, especially for repeated updates and inserts.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.