Best practices for presence detection

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out how to manage a pretty classic presence detection management.

I have multiple devices that can be detected near a light. If only one of them is close then I have to turn on the light but I don't have to turn it off until all the devices are far away.

I'm still new to node-red so I still have problem with the flow approach and I'm thinking about a simple boolean approach.

I just can check all devices status with an OR but I'm not sure it's a best practice.

Do you have any advice?

What kind of devices?
If we are talking about detecting presence of smart phones, in my case iPhones, I definitely say Monitor is very good. Have been using it successfully for more than a year now

I'm using room-assistant (more as a proof of concept) but right now I'm more interested in how to manage in node-red a generic situation that could be handled with a simple "OR" in a classic programming style.

Without knowing what devices or the protocols it's difficult to say.

Your language suggests you are thinking in a procedural / polling manner.

Node-red is much better suited to event based programming e.g. when a device is detected, an event occurs (e.g. a node fires it's output) then using other nodes, you determine what to do with that.

If you provide more details, I'm certain someone can steer you.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.