Can I control my MyQ devices via Node-RED?

I found a past topic by @rgerrans via this post but its unclear to me whether I can open/close my garage door or gate using this flow. Anyone using this flow who can answer this question?

@k5map The flow still works for me with MyQ's API's for opening/closing my garage door. I wasn't the original developer just took their work and updated it for the newer API. Feel free to reach out with any questions (been a while since I did it but can probably retrace the code again to help)

MyQ changed their login protocol a couple weeks ago that broke all V5 implementations. Homebridge and Smarttings I think are the only 2 automation systems that support the new V6 implementation with major updates to the login portion. How did you get yours to work?

Just to clarify are you talking about the Chamberlain MyQ wireless thingie?

I have the MyQ bridge (GD to network to MyQ servers) which worked fine until they changed their login type. I'm using Hubitat right now and I was going to use NR moving forward if the interface was restored.

@wecoyote5 ... I also have HE7 but I can only send commands to my MyQ garage door and gate; not able to receive any data back. Do you have your HE configured to receive status updates from your MyQ devices?

@rgerrans ... assuming your node still works with MyQ v6, I read in the node documentation and it requires username, password and serial number. I have the username/password but unclear where I get the serial number (is this the S/N on the device)? I ask because my gate connects to the cloud via the MyQ WiFi device.

Hi @k5map, once MyQ changed the login the driver in HE could not control the door anymore. I've since migrated to an all local control using a dual ZigBee relay and extra remote I had. Then I used the Zooz GD driver to tie all the bits and pieces together and so far that's been working just fine. That being stated, I think the HE team may be adding in the firmware feature that the driver writer needs to complete the updated login type.

I was interested in using the NR version as it seemed to indicate that I can get open/closed position from the API and not rely on an external sensor. And maybe even be able to control the light.

It's been a while since I refactored the original flow to get it to work. I just looked at my flow (I had put in a Configuration node) and I do have an AppID that I'm passing with the userid and password but that is generic (Lift Master / MyQ / Chamberlain API Usage with cURL (and jq) · GitHub). I did look at the web call and it looks like I'm hitting against API v5 so until they shutdown that version of their API we should be fine w/o serial numbers

There appears progress on the V6 interface... I found a repository where someone has released a open API which supports V6 (GitHub).

I've passed this along to the person who developed the MyQ node so hopefully they can use this new API to update their node to support the V6 interface.

@wecoyote5 ... I just upgraded to v2.2.9 on my HE7. After the upgrade, I learned from the developer of the MyQ Lite driver, he is not going to include the ability to obtain device status. So solely using HE is now a dead end. At this point, I'd prefer not to switch to local control because I have both a garage and gate connected to MyQ.

Now my hope is someone will take the API developed by hjdhjd (which supports device status) and create a new node for MyQ so we can continue to use NR to control & retrieve device status.

I saw that, too; thanks for the update. I was wondering why he didn't get status so I'm glad he explained, although it's confusing why myQ would strictly ban retrieving device status when the whole API is 'unofficial'. I was too lazy to wait for a software solution so I wen't the full local control route with a Zigbee relay and an extra remote I had. Easy to convert back if something comes up.

@wecoyote5 ... I read several of the post in hjdhjd Github and it explains that MyQ does not "ban" anyone retrieving status but those addresses which retrieve status faster than 1 per second. The great feature in hjdhjd's API is it keeps track how often the status is requested and only sends a request to MyQ every 2 secs in an attempt to keep from getting banned.

Since hjdhjd is allowing anyone to use his API, I'm researching the effort to incorporate his work into a new NR node. Fingers crossed I can get something working.

2 Likes

Good luck, whenever I get the time, some day I have to learn how to do that.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.