Cant get array buffer refrence to work... Help please?

So on reading further, I see you have a solution you are happy with - good.

If you dont mind, I will pick up a few points (in no particular order)...

I'm glad I was of some help.

Regarding this fixation on leaving source data format untouched etc, IMO, is completely moot.
Whatever comes out of the PLC/Modbus nodes IS what it is.
i.e. if its wrong for you, change it immediately after source to the format you need. So cloning / duplicating a potentially large chunk of data is pointless. Just do the necessary swap and then consume the data as you please.

I too use PLCS on an almost daily business - of late, consuming data is one of my main jobs.
As for the "every HMI just works" comment - imagine you were developing a HMI in node-red (which BTW is perfectly achievable - see my demo in the UI-SVG node that i co-authored or search this forum for "HMI") you too would swap the incoming data if it were necessary.
To try and clarify, a HMI only "just works" because the HMI manufacturer swapped the data as required - same as you would/should.

I too have faced these things on a daily basis.
Its obvious from your considerations you are a seasoned PLC/HMI programmer. And while that will come in useful in node/node-red world, it can get in the way.

When it comes to collecting data from a PLC there are tons of considerations

• Is the data related to each other - if so, try poll it all in one block for consistency
  • Is the related data points to collect bigger than the maximum poll block size of the driver?
    • if yes, you need to synchronise using handshaking / flags otherwise the poll blocks will be returned with a difference of COMM TIME + PLC SCAN TIME (i.e. potentially out of step / inconsistent)
  • Is the amount of data being collected (related or unrelated) littered all over the PLC?
    • consider gathering it all up into a single poll-able area to minimise COMMS + ensure data sample consistency.
  • etc
  • etc

Lets say for arguments sake, you need to sample 1000 related values from the PLC for database logging. Now the PLC driver can only poll 200 16 bit values in one COMM poll & it takes 15ms for a complete poll cycle & the PLCs SCAN time is 5ms.
You either decide to make 5 COMM polls or the driver takes care of it under the hood. The driver wont care about consistency & will get the 5 samples required to make up 1000 values.

So you have a few choices but its likely you will move the 1000 values into a static/controlled Data area in the PLC and use a set of flags to prevent the 1000 WDs being changed until the COMM driver has done its 5 200WD polls.

Unless you are talking HUGE amounts of data and extensive post-processing, you are not gonna feel this.

Yes, nodejs is single threaded but its event loop is pretty fast.

And lets be honest, you probably arent going to poll the whole PLC data memory banks. And even if you did need to process (lets say) 65535 items - running that through a function, converting to various value formats, might be faster than you imagine - example.

BUT - there is no need to pre-process all values in an instant, every poll. I would take the values, swap if necessary (one or two buffer function calls) then only consume/convert the values needed at that particular time. This is of course far easier to state than implement :slight_smile:

Penultimate observation / comment (my opinions - take them or leave them)...

Putting all your converted data into a single object is a bit like the "PLC way" (a memory bank) - but not ideally suited to modern parts of this evolving industry like IIoT / MQTT.

Would you be up for a challenge?

• If you dont have one, setup an MQTT broker. (mosquito is fine)
  • Download MQTT explorer & get it connected to your broker
  • Get your PLC and node-red talking - get an amount of data (say 1000 WDs)
  • Do the buffer swap / convert each item you need converted to its desired int/in32/float format (hard coded for now is fine)
    • compare the converted value to a memory store (hint use context for memory flow.get("myLookupObject"); )
    • if value has changed,
      • update the local memory (hint: myLookupObject[itemName] = itemValue; flow.set("myLookupObject", myLookupObject);
      • node.send a new object with a .topic and .payload
  • attach the output of this function to an MQTT out node.

What you should see - initially lots of activity as the PLC values are first read and converted to MQTT messages - then it goes quiet as no PLC data is changing. As data in the PLC changes, the MQTT Explorer picks up changes.

From here (once your data is converted from a contiguous lump of data into modern TOPIC/VALUE items in MQTT - your future opportunities suddenly expand. Want an MQTT based HMI on your smartphone - easy. Want to send Emails / Telegrams? easy.

Last words...

So, I am going to leave this here - I hope you can see while I may not have fully explained early examples I did take into consideration more than one might realise?

Happy learning.

One extra "spanner in the works" - if you fancy a little bit more experimentation...
see this thread - Flow to decode binary data and a walk-through on how to install the npm module
shows a way to use a library to help decode a blob of data. It also mentions the binary node that does the same as a simple node.
Either way may be useful to help unpack and pack the values you need in a more consistent manner.

1 Like

No you didn't and I wasn't trying to imply otherwise... But you seemed to be confused as to why I wanted to change it in the first place to the point where I felt you thought I was doing something wrong.
Which of course I was in may ways, just not that bit.
I defiantly didn't mean any offence,sorry.

Your time and attention is very much appreciated, I have learned loads and have a much better Idea about what I don't yet know, which is the bulk of it basically.

I think we got at cross purposes a couple of times but that would be my fault, not knowing the context in which to describe my perceived issue.

I absolutely agree with all your final comments and given the opportunity, which I will of course have when working with the PLC at least, I think placing all the 16 and 32 bit words into contiguous memory and handling that just once for each type, with or without a swap as the first process on the block, makes sense.

Just works... Yes ff course I know the drivers are doing the same thing we were talking about.
My point was; that was either part of a specific device driver, or configurable on a generic Modbus connection, usually for a given variable, once mapped.
I just thought it odd that what is essentially 'normal fare' with Modbus coms hadn't presented itself, or perhaps I just haven't found it.

Anyway I have been reading, seemed the sensible next choice before doing anything else.
Context being th first topic oddly enough.

Yes I have MQTT running and some Tasmota devices

Looking at Dashboard and ping/arp right now...
First useful task will be to tell me what is there and or missing, what it is , ideally, and check the network generally, rebooting routers and the like as required.

This will include monitoring of the PLC, which I would typically setup a heartbeat for, and also monitoring my energy system, which has an Ethernet gateway but gives device status via Modbus registers.

Thanks again...
Best regards,
Al

1 Like

All good stuff.

Happy learning and welcome to node-red addiction :).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.