Colour codes in debug panel

OK I just got home and am overwhelmed by so many responses from all you grown-ups. and none of them (not in plain text anyway) say "Don't be silly"

@Steve-Mcl thanks for the example regexes. But did you notice that I posted one that is rather shorter and covers all of the formats I showed?

/^(#(?:[0-9a-f]{2}){2,4}$|(#[0-9a-f]{3}$)|(rgb|hsl)a?\((-?\d+%?[,\s]+){2,3}\s*[\d\.]+%?\)$)$/i

I did not write this expression and I have not yet fully determined the meaning of each character but it seems to be

• The beginning of the string
  • followed by # followed by 3 or 4 hex pairs (optionally in brackets?)
  • OR hsl or rgb, optionally followed by a, followed by 3 or 4 numbers in brackets, optionally with a % sign
  • followed by the end of the string.
  • All case insensitive.

I am pretty sure that many of the $ signs within the regex can be removed since I added one globally.

In my test, on my computer, the bit to allow optional space after the key letters - RGBA (.... didn't work.

It is definitely not a complete regex since it seems to just passively accept % signs.
I don't think this matters though.
If my msg.payload looks sufficiently like a colour code, why not try and use it to colour a swatch?
It's exactly what debug currently does with a payload that is the name of one of my dairy herd "#Deb004".

I don't think replacing commas, slashes and spaces is a good idea - take the regex offering the best compromise between length, clarity and completeness. Whatever the payload contains as a color code can be used unchanged to style the swatch.
That's just speculation. I don't know how it's currently done.

@dceejay thanks for the pointer to the relevant bit of code.
I have never modified a real application in javascript nor a github based application. (plenty in other languages).
It is pretty intimidating but I will explore and see if I can work out how to change the code to do this.
Is there any way to make a local copy of this part of the code and override the real version locally?

1 Like

Hmm, I colour blind. I suppose I will just manage as I always have to do.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.