Configure Node properties of a Subflow

Hi!

I am using node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2 to control my Alexa Echo and connected Smart Home devices as a first useful way to explore Node-RED. It provices a Node (amongst others) to control a single Smart Home device. Let's have a look on how the Node properties look like if I wanted to turn my Kitchen light off.

Unfortunately there is no toggle, only allowing for turning a light on or off. I took this as an oppurtunity to get into subflows.

My idea is to create a subflow that takes the Account (global configuration node, as far as I understand) and device name or id. It consists of 3 Alexa nodes: The first one queries the current state of the target device (on / off). A switch node then either triggers the turn device on or turn device off node.

While I understand that I can use environment variables for subflow configuration, I don't understand how I could somehow inject those values into the Alexa Nodes, configuring the Account and device in a dynamic way.

Is there some API to access a Node's configuration and some init code of a subflow where I could do this?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Voting up this feature request. It would be so useful to be able to pick config-nodes for nodes inside a subflow using subflow properties.

I'm not 100% this works, but I recall @knolleary mentioning it was possible to edit the subflow's JSON and change the value of Account for example ton an env var (${YOURVAR})
would need to test this though...

Just tried and it doesn't seem to work

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.