"Connection Lost" and data drops

I am running the browser on the Pi using chromium. For test purposes I am also connected on my PC via Chrome. Problem occurs on both systems exactly at the same time.

Ok thats interesting: using top I get multiple chromium processes. One of them uses between 80 % and 140% of the CPU. Memory seems ok with around 20%
cpu

I restarted the Pi and checkt again: Still the same

What sort of pi is it?
If you shutdown chrome on the pi does it still happen on the PC? Make sure the chromium processes have gone on the pi.

Its a Raspberry Pi 3B+
I killed all instances of chromium-browse and it looks like its working now.
I will keep it running another couple of hours and check the sensor values logged in my txt files to see if there are som slots missing just to be sure.

Running a browser on a 3 is always going to be pushing it a bit, and the dashboard can be fairly heavy if you have a fair amount of refreshing going on. I think almost certainly that is the cause of the problem, the pi just isn't man enough to cope, which also explains why it was even worse with a chart too.
If you want to run a browser running the dashboard on a pi I think you would be best to upgrade to a 4.

Hi, late to contribute but I would also concur that a pi 4 would be essential if you run chrome on the target. I have also found that if one sifts through the js libraries and remove those big ones that you probably only use a date format function, in order to lighten the processing/memory load a bit.

After 6h of testing no data drops. So the problem seems to be the cpu load.
I have a pi 4 on my desk but did not have time to set it up yet. I will try and report back as soon as I can.

@ozpos
Could you give me a little more insight in the js libraries and how to find whats safe to delet? :slight_smile:

Do you know if there is an even lighter and better way to get the dashboard on a raspi display running then chromium? I read something about Electron, is that something i should think about?

Thanks so far, you really helped me out here!

You are welcome.

Just a simple thing, I had a working flow and installed the moment node (excellent just too heavy in some of my situations) so I could format a date a certain way. This caused comms timeout as the pi struggled to catch up. Turned out I had just run out of cpu with limited memory. I did some messing around and wrote a function to do what I needed. and removed the moment and all was ok again.

It is easy to use up resources with so many useful nodes out there. I try and choose smaller less sophisticated nodes when on the pi with a desktop and chrome.

I have had pi3 with dashboard and chromium running ok but there is not much headroom, better (i think) to move to a pi4 for the cost difference.

Cannot comment on Electron, sorry. I think you can tune chromium and make it leaner maybe look at kiosk mode, sorry I cannot be of any more help on browser agility.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.