Connection Speed Comparisons

I have started using @Steve-Mcl 's excellent flow-timer in my development to compare various ways of doing things and found some interesting anecdata to share.

When comparing 3 ways of connecting 2 nodes, I found the following:

1. Connecting directly is consistently the fastest
  2. Connecting via link out and link in nodes seems to add a consistent 1ms
  3. Connecting via mqtt out and mqtt in nodes seems to add a fairly consistent 40-41ms.
    Here is a sample of may comparison looks like (updated image):

I doubt this matters in most applications, but I am trying to speed up my flows as much as possible to increase family acceptance of smarthome automation.

Just in case anyone is wondering about the setup, Node-Red and Mosquitto (MQTT server) are running in separate containers on a Synology NAS, so the IP connection between the 2 which is traversed twice probably isn't as bad as it might be if they were physically separate.

2 Likes

What device is node red running on?
What mqtt broker are you using?
Where is the broker running?

To be expected. No msg cloning etc.

Sounds reasonable.

For a localhost mosquito - I get a fairly consistent 3~4ms
For a local network mosquito - I get a replies anywhere from 6~40ms

I prefer to see where all my spaghettis run anyhow :spaghetti: , so no need to loose that 1ms each :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I thought that was already listed in the last paragraph? Besides this doesn't sound like an question needing a solution, more like a "hey look what I found out" :smiley:

Strange, I didn't see that the first time. Probably operator error due to trying to reply on my phone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.