COVID-19 "Healthy-Indoors-Project"

Hi Julian,
yes actually you planted the seed a decade ago: New bathroom ideas

I know the limitation of a BME680 and I believe the eCO2 figure is more a marketing stunt. The BME has it’s origin from the automotive industry (as they mention in the video a couple of times) and certainly not a scientific sensor for CO2. In my car these sensors start the ventilation if they recognize a increase of the compounds these kind of sensor measure (mixed gas sensors).

And this is (as I think) exactly what it is necessary these days. We currently do not measure the climate change (even if I sometimes think it would be good to be able to focus on more than one problem at a time)

Perhaps to outline the project (I know and understand ... TL;DR)

• currently the indication of "relative" air quality is crucial. Against absolute values you might can’t do anything (Smog, pollution) through ventilation.
  • cheap sensors easy to implement (prefer i2c insted of 5v modbus & level shifters & more code: ie. sensair S8)
  • visualize a "relative" value - that`s why I made the neopixel monitor node... no values to discuss. or charts without a grid / values
  • VOC values goes up immediately when people enter a room and after a short period (5-10s) these liquid based compounds reach the other corner of the room! If you think aerosols are a thing that is scary. I think (but will find out soon) that CO2 levels go up much slower
  • check which sensors work best.
  • and finally build something yourself!
2 Likes