Credentials (and file names).... Not quite clear on something

@zenofmud Andrew has clearly stated here and in the previous thread, that the settings file he's shared with us has had the password redacted before sharing it. So it's a bit redundant to say you couldn't login using the settings as provided.

The real mystery at the moment is why the browser is behaviour the way it is - a lot depends on knowing what browser @Trying_to_learn is using here.

I am sure I declared it is Firefox.

Ah yes - sorry, I missed that in your long post.

And you are using Firefox on a different machine (the Ubuntu vm I think), pointing it at the Pi in question.

Can you try a different browser on a different machine? Is there a particular reason you're using an Ubuntu VM to run the browser and not just your regular machine?

Nick,

I think his regular machine has a password manager on it and he is having issues with it - hence is trying to work around it by using the VM and removing his regular machine from the equation.

The inability to push to focus into the password field and enter something is an interesting one.

Craig

Ok once again lets start from basics and step forward

1. Remove the need for credentials from settings.js then restart node-red on that machine
  2. Can you now (from your VM browser) - hit that machine and access node-red admin ui and operate with no issues - if so - lets re-enable authentication and generate a new password using the standard procedure (can you also point or document the steps you are taking to generate the password
  3. Once done - restart node-red, post the logs here and attempt to access it from the VM browser - do you have the same problem where you can not push to focus into the password field to enter the new password
  4. On the VM can you flush the browser cache, credentials etc etc and try again
  5. Can you install a different browser on the VM and try that

Craig

Ok, slight update:

(I will have to find a REAL machine)

But!

Loaded Windoze 7nd loaded IE.

The problem does NOT happen.

I shall try to get more information to help determine the cause of the problem and report it as information comes to hand.

Sorry it is taking so long. I really want to get to the bottom of the problem and work out what is happening and maybe resolve it.

Craig,

Shall get back to you on the requests.

We've just had an issue get raised from another user with the same problem description - Firefox (and only firefox) doesn't allow him to enter a password.

So @Trying_to_learn, feel reassured it isn't just you! But the fact remains it is a bit of mystery as to what could cause that behaviour in the browser. I would be extremely surprised if it relates to any type of misconfiguration on your part in settings.js.

1 Like

Ok, thanks.

I shall get the version/s of FF to maybe help with finding out the problem.

I'm guessing that the log won't reflect much information?

I will do what Craig said and report back anything.

I'm guessing this may need to be taken up with the FireFox people.

Ok, bit more news. (Though maybe not THAT exciting for you lot. But only to keep ALL people on the same page.)

Given: The RPI (in question) takes about 4 minutes between reboots, I have copied the settings.js file to my VM also.

VM: Ubuntu 18.04.01 LTS.
FF: Quantum canonical 1-0. (Shrug)

If the settings are for secure log in: Isn't happening. Can't enter password.

Turning secure log in off: Log in, easy peasy.

Craig:

Sorry? STANDARD? I have learned one thing (well maybe two):
1 - Standards aren't, and
2 - Interchangeable components aren't.

So........

Going from this page:
https://nodered.org/docs/security.html

Let's all start afresh.

Nick:
(Sorry) As this is not a fully speced out version of NR/Ubuntu, I don't (didn't) have all the programs/commands to do this.

So as to not contaminate the waters, can you please repeat what I need to install before I go any further?
Something to do with the program/command to generate the hash.
Found this from a while back:

You are right - it needs to be made more obvious. In the current text, node-red-admin is actually a link to the relevant page. Unfortunately the styling of the word hides that fact, so I can quite understand why you'd have missed it.
Node-RED___Security
Node-RED___Security.png1676x250 25.6 KB

As for the error you hit when trying to install it...

Node-RED___Command-line_Administration
Node-RED___Command-line_Administration.png1716x376 47.1 KB

So use sudo npm install -g node-red-admin

So: From what directory is that command run?
~/node.red or ~/npm

(I am only wanting to be 100% sure before possibily messing things up)

The command to run is

sudo npm install -g node-red-admin

This should be run as a non-root user from the home directory where Node-red is installed - in the case of a user PI this would be

/home/pi/.node-red

note the leading FULLSTOP in front of the node-red directory - this signifies it is a hidden directory

Here is a screenshot of my ubuntu 18.04 setup

Craig

Ok.

Done, but gee what a lot of messages.

Excusing the size, here is the screenshot of that.

Ran the command and made the hash.

Edited settings.js file and rebooted.

Went to VM, loaded FF to that machine's NR.

Get the log in screen and can't get off the name field.

This is the log from NR (from VM) so far.

The error is my bad.
I have lines signalling where the password stuff is.
I occidentally removed the "header line" of the block.
Edited now and all ok.

But this we asked for AFTER an attempt to log in from FF.

Shall try to get another browser installed ITMT.

On another front I got this information from the FF people:

Blockquote As the first step, you could check for messages in Firefox's Web Console. After displaying the login page, open the Web Console in the lower part of the tab using either:

• "3-bar" menu button > Web Developer > Web Console
  • (menu bar) Tools > Web Developer > Web Console
  • (Windows) Ctrl+Shift+k

Then reload the page in the upper part of the tab and watch for error or security messages. (The lines with blue triangles generally are not significant unless you suspect a style rule problem.) Anything that sounds like it could be relevant?

Well, good news there!

I refreshed the page and this is what I see:

Someone - somewhere shall find this helpful I feel:

(Ok, not directly NR's problem)

It seems to be an XML parsing problem.

I don't know the names of all the browsers. I was from Windoze (FF, IE, Crome?) Just tried to install opera(?) on the Ubuntu VM. "Fast, secure, easy-to-use browser". (COUGH!)
It won't load.
Something about "Can't fork. Can't allocate memory." (English would be nice.)
So I can't compare it to another browser on the VM.

THOUGH - just re-stating - that on Windows 7 using IE, (VM) it works.

And a bit more news.

VM:
Ubuntu,
Chrome (Browser)
NR set for password log in via web.

WORKS!

FF: Doesn't.

(Ok, seems to point to FF as the problem.)
Just putting it out there for the other person/people with the same problem.

(IF anyone is still looking at this)

Ok, TRYING to work out what is going on.

window.controllers/controllers is deprecated.   Do not use for UA detection.

WHO is using that?

NR or FF?

Also, it says the error is line number 1 column number 1
I am opening the page source but that doesn't make sense.

<!DOCTYPE html>