Crediting authors after forking a module

I have forked the node-red-node-pi-gpio module to port it to the Nvidia Jetson Nano. While I've made some extensive changes to the logic, it wouldn't have been possible if I had to start from scratch.

What is the proper/best practice method of crediting the original author? Is there such a field in the package.json file?

The first thing you need to do is to check the license that should be with the node. I was going to look at it, but I can't find node-red-node-rpi-gpio.

In the package.json file you can update the authors or contributors fields - https://docs.npmjs.com/cli/v7/configuring-npm/package-json#people-fields-author-contributors

It would also be a courtesy to include an acknowledgement in your README.

take a look at the rpi-gpio package.json file It has that information.

That is node-red-node-pi-gpio, not node-red-node-rpi-gpio.

In addition to @knolleary's comment I think you also have to include a copy of the original license and can't impose any restrictions on what that license says. Check the licence with the node and see what it says.

@Colin given node-red-node-rpi-gpio doesn't exist on npm and doesn't show up on a google search, I think we can probably assume its a typo and node-red-node-pi-gpio is the intended original module.

I am sure you are right, but it could have been node-red-contrib-redplc-rpi-gpio.

"node-red"     : {
        "nodes": {
            "rpi-gpio": "36-rpi-gpio.js"
        }

made me think I found the right one

Yes, sorry, typo on my part.

I need to change the author field to me since I wouldn't want questions going to Dave.

The license is Apache 2.0 which is pretty permissible so I don't think there's any issue there. I've been a Fedora packager for over 10 years and while I don't consider myself a license expert, I have been exposed to many (GPL, BSD, Apache, etc).

Adding something to the README is easy enough, I just wasn't sure if there was a best practice already established

just change me to a contributor :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.