Debian 8 (Jessie) not supported in update-script

In the Running on Raspberry Pi : Node-RED page it says the minimum version of Raspbian is jessie. This is incorrect. I tried to upgrade yesterday and ran into this big problem (a non-functioning Node-RED):

This can take 20-30 minutes on the slower Pi versions - please wait.

Stop Node-RED                       ✔
  Remove old version of Node-RED      ✔
  Remove old version of Node.js       ✔  v6
  Update Node.js LTS                  ✘   Failed to install Node.js - Exit
  Clean npm cache
  Install Node-RED core
  Move global nodes to local
  Install extra Pi nodes
  Npm rebuild existing nodes
  Add shortcut commands
  Update systemd script

Error:
	nodejs : Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 5.2) but 4.9.2-10+deb8u2 is to be installed

I am no linux expert, but after a very long frustrating battle I managed to install Node.js v10 manually (example from: GitHub - nodesource/distributions: NodeSource Node.js Binary Distributions):

curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_10.x -o nodesource_setup.sh
	sudo bash nodesource_setup.sh
	sudo apt-get install nodejs
	sudo apt-get install build-essential

And then I edited the above update-script in such a way that the Node.js part is skipped. Finally it was able to install the latest version of Node-RED v1.2.9

I know there is an existing topic about this (Raspian Jessie not supported with latest bash script), but it is already closed, and mentions a solution of upgrading to stretch or buster, but that is really a solution for everybody, and would mean that jessie is not supported anymore.

I suggest either to remove the mentioning of support for Jessie, or change the update-script so that it recognizes this situation and uses Node.js v10 instead of v12.

Please let me know your thoughts on this proposal.

Not directly addressing the problem but if you just needed to upgrade (or install) node-red and leave nodejs as it was you could do
sudo npm install -g --unsafe-perms node-red
as described in the Getting Started guide.

Jessie went out of support 9 months ago, you cannot get even security updates for it any more.

Docs updated to say Stretch is now minimum.

1 Like

Thanks for you quick reply! :+1:

I know, Jessie is old, and I am working on replacing it. But for now it is very nice that I can keep it running just a little bit longer :wink:.

Helper scripts are nice to get you going but you are likely to grow out of them at some point I've always found.

I prefer to have native installations wherever possible and will always prefer installation via apt for OS-level apps and npm for node.js apps.

I never install node-red globally either but that is a different thread :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.