Deploy nodered with ansible + systemd

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing! This was a big help! I customized it a bit for my needs but it works well! Have you come up with anything for having ansible check for updates and installing them?

Chris

I missed this first time around, thanks for the shout-out to my alternate installer :+1: :slight_smile:

1 Like

The alternate installer is great, Julian! The only thing I'm a little confused about is updating. Is it ok to simply call npm run update-master and npm run update-data? I'm looking for the easiest way to update my fleet of 50 Pis using ansible. lol

Yes, absolutely. The master update will update Node-RED itself and anything else installed at that level. The data update will update all installed nodes and anything else installed to the userDir.

Of course, because you are doing a "manual" update as far as Node-RED is concerned, you also have to restart Node-RED.

The only time to watch out is if you have also done a Node.js major version upgrade because then you should immediately to an npm rebuild on both levels.

If using UIBUILDER, you might also choose to update the packages in the uibRoot folder as well.

1 Like

Thank you, Julian!

On uibuilder... I watched one of your videos and finally have an understanding of it and am working on replacing Dashboard in a few projects right now!

1 Like

Watch out for a quick share in the forum - I've started work on a new version of my own home dashboard as well - at long last.

1 Like