Do Inject Nodes use much bandwidth

Is it bad practice to utilize a bunch of inject nodes to do queries, html calls, etc on a regular interval?

At what point does this start creating issues and performance degradation? Are multiple calls every 15 seconds going to create any kind of issue?

I've noticed the the inject node allows for certain intervals only during a set time period, but the granularity goes to 1 minute intervals, hence the question.

What kind of queries? To what? How often? More importantly, to what?

I assume you mean performance impact to the target? Depends on what it is and what it's returning.

1 Like

The use case I have in mind (but was wondering overall) is to ping my OctoPrint Raspberry Pi every 15 seconds. I'm just curious if that will add overhead that could theoretically mess up a print job or something. It just returns a short JSON array, to help keep the GPIO's on the Pi synced up with my Home Assistant control.

It's all very "it depends." Pinging a pi (in the usual ICMP ping sense) is not going to knock down a print job. If that were the case, just loading the octoprint web UI would crash a job. Not sure where you're going with the JSON array or GPIO/HomeAssistant bits, though, because those are totally separate things entirely.

There is an OctoPrint plugin called "Enclosure Plugin" that lets you control the GPIO's of the Pi for various reasons. I use it to control some lights, the printer itself, filament dryer, etc. I was looking to be able to also control them from Home Assistant, which I've accomplished, but keeping them synced relies on me using an inject node to get the status of the pins from the pi (there's only four).