Dynamic ip address for "node-red-contrib-gree-hvac"

I installed this node for my new GREE airco's and it works very well.

My problem is that I cannot give this AC a fixed IP address by DHCP reservation, so now I was wondering if I can dynamically change the ip address of the GREE node.

By means of the ARP node I can determine the IP address on base of MAC address, so then I would be able to configure the ip address of the GREE node.

Not a solution, but may be helpful.

thanks @Trying_to_learn, I already tried this in several ways, but nothing seems to work so far.

Why can't you give the A/C unit a fixed IP address?

Who is doing the DHCP?
Should be easy enough to do.
And sorry if the link seemed like a hand off..... I am not running on all cylinders just now but I remembered that thread and suggested it.

@Trying_to_learn , My modem-router can only be reached and configured by means of website of my internet-provider. The most I can do there is port forwarding, that's about it. So no IP or DHCP reservation possible.

The AC units can also not be given a fixed ip address, as far as I know.

That's a shame. (About the modem-router).

I don't understand why that is the situation, but I'm not going to stress on that.

Could you put a router in between the A/C and the existing router?
I know it is more work and introducing NAT (well, you could get around it, but that is complicated) and then get the A/C to talk to your ......
Oh, that's not going to work, either.

Sorry.

I'm out of ideas sorry.

@Trying_to_learn , Thanks, same here. I already thought about my own router or even switch to another internet provider, where I can control the router myself, but both solution are giving me many more problems and headaches.

So where on the network are you and the A/C?

Just it seems weird the whole set up.

Ok, the "router" is some how under the control of the ISP (provider).

Thought:

(I'm not an artist)

The top is what is.... You can't control the IP allocation.

But if you stick a router as shown in the lower part, (at your place) you can then control all the allocations and IPs to the right.

So long as the A/C is where you are, that would fix the problem.

Just a thought.

@Trying_to_learn , Like I said, I considered that already, but in my case that would introduce new problems for me, so I ruled out that option.

Yeah, sorry. I just now noticed you did say that.

I think it is time for me to go to bed today. :wink:

It is 23:12 local here and it's been a long day.

Finally I have a solution to the problem. @Trying_to_learn I have done what you already suggested, I put my own router behind the router of the ISP. My ISP gave me a another modem/router that was able to function in bridge-mode, so it delivers a public IP address to my own router. Now I can do whatever I want with my router. So.......problem solved!!!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.