Difficulties with static ip

Hello all!

I'm currently trying to connect two local raspberry pis via Ethernet. My goal is to send my master raspberry pi node-red dashboard to slave raspberry pi. At first, I have succeeded with the task by connecting the raspberry's and set my slave raspberry chromium IP address (169.254.180.35). But the problem is that the ip address later on changes when rebooting, so i need to change the configurations again at the slave raspberry. I would like that the ip address stays the same. This isn't really my area of expertise, so I'm asking help :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Welcome to the forum @JereLehtonen

This isn't a node-red issue at all, but if you look at this blog at the section " Optional - Set a fixed IP address" it shows you the options for setting a fixed IP. I know the blog is about setting up a headless server, but that doesn't matter, the section on setting the IP is ok for headless or GUI installations.

Hello Colin!
And thank you for the fast reply!
I tried the suggested method. Although the node-red pointed ip address to 127.0.0.1. I would like it to be 169.254.180.35:1880, so my additional raspberry can display the dashboard. Did i adjust the configurations wrongly?

interface eth0
static ip_address=169.254.180.35/24
static routers=169.254.180.1
static domain_name_servers=169.254.180.1 8.8.8.8

Thank you for helping with this "issue" :slight_smile:

Is that address within the DHCP range of the router? If so then it may also give that address to another device. You must choose an address outside the range configured in the router. If you think you have done that did you reboot after changing dhcpcd.conf?

If it still doesn't work what does
ip addr
show in a terminal. Also from the the other raspberry what does
ping theipaddress
show (with the appropriate address obviously)

I think you should use a different address range. The one you are using is for APIPA. You could use addresses like 192.168.10.XXX/24. Make sure both machines are on the same subnet!

Hello Colin,

Yes, I did the reboot, and i was able to change the ip address of the node-red. I tried to change the ip address to 169.254.180.35, but then node-red changed the ip address to 127.0.0.1 and couldn't connect to the slave raspberry. Then tried with the 192.168.10.XXX address and still didn't get the dashboard to the slave raspberry, which have display connected..

Should i create two separate programs to the slave and master raspberry's and communicate with mqtt for example?

127.0.0.1 is the ip address of localhost, which is how you address node-red when running the browser on the same machine as node-red.

You didn't answer any of these questions. There is no point me trying to help if you don't answer the questions.

Also you have not addressed @Simon01011's point. Did you read the link he posted?

My apologies,

Yes i read the post which @Simon01011 posted, thank you for that. That is the reason why i changed target ip address to 192.168.10.XXX. Im sorry for not responding directly to your questions.

ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK, UP, LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOW group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host low
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 ::1/128 scope host
valid_lft forever preferref_lft foverer
eth0: <BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP, LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether b8:27:eb:2e:e6:43 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 169.254.180.35/16 brd 169.254.255.255 scope global noprefixroute eth0
inet6 fe80::71f2:1410:37ee:bd01/64 scope link

/etc/dhcpcd.conf IP configuration is been commented out. Two raspberrys are connected via ethernet cable.

ping theipaddress gives Temporary failure in name resolution.

I will soon uncomment the dhcpcd.conf ip configurations and send you the data that ip addr gives.

Thank you for your patience :slight_smile:

This is still the wrong address I think...

These are two raspberries, right? Do you know raspi-config?

Use this tool to set your IP addresses like 192.168.10.10 for the first pi and 192.168.10.11 for the second one. Try if they can communicate with each other

Yea, I need to change the ip address back to 192.168.10.10. and change my slave raspberry to 192.168.10.11 to see how it works. Yea i know raspi-config, havent use it to be honest not so much. I will keep you updated (if interested) to see if this helps my project :smiley:

I see an obvious problem that may be overlooked. You realize you cannot connect two pi's directly together via an ethernet cable unless it is a crossover cable? If you don't have a hub or switch to connect to you must use a crossover cable.

Pi use auto sensing ethernet ports so no need for crossover cables

Good to know

Hello,

If you merely need to view the dashboard on a remote Pi, you don’t need to “join them together.

If your master Pi is 192.168.x.y, then the dashboard is viewable on the second Pi by addressing 192.168.x.y:1880/ui.

I think this is the linkage that you are looking for.

Rick

I believe that there is no router in the setup, just the two Pis.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.