Exec node output

Hi, linux noob, just mucking round with the exec node:

Why does the payload of the command sometimes display human readable ascii string and sometimes hex:

e.g with ls -a cmd, display a nice string of human readable ascii:

with cat /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model:

While a function node can change it to readable string:
msg.payload = Buffer.from(msg.payload);
msg.payload = msg.payload.toString();
return msg;

jus like to understand why it does not display ascii string in the first instance.

Thanks
Ken

What do you see if you run the cat command in a terminal?
Also show us how you have configured the exec node.

When I run in the cmd terminal I see:
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

The exec node config:

Hi Ken,

Please try the following:

cat -u

ie: man cat
- u The output is not buffered

Cheers
Ranki

Can you show us the whole of the buffer output please. The help text for the exec node says
The returned payload is usually a string , unless non-UTF8 characters are detected, in which case it is a buffer .
which suggests that there is a non-ascii character there. In fact, before posting it look at it and see if there are any unusual characters there. Find an ascii table to check it against. I note that the buffer is 31 characters but the text output is 30 and there is no newline on the end. I suspect that there may be a null character on the end, or something similar.

Indeed on a Pi at least there is a 0x00 at the end of the string... a quick way to trim it is to add | xargs to the command in the exec node - so

Hi @Colin, the whole buffer output is (I think is decimal, when I copy & paste):
[82,97,115,112,98,101,114,114,121,32,80,105,32,51,32,77,111,100,101,108,32,66,32,82,101,118,32,49,46,50,0], and does look like a 0 is sent at the end as per @dceejay said, but I thought 0 is valid null ASCII chr.
Does not explain why on the same pi, cmd ls -a, does not buffer and outputs string as I would expect.

@Ranki, thanks for the suggestion, that works & save me another function node to convert to string, just curious why some command buffer & some dont. Hope u are enjoying your boating, I am working on a seatalk to nmea converter and hope to display all my instruments in NR's Dashboard.

Thanks,
Ken
NZ

Hi @kenkoknz ,

Good to hear that it is working now. In the end I think the problem is not the exec node, but the general output of cat on Linux; therefore they introduced this parameter. We need to ask them why :upside_down_face:

Concerning the boat project: good look! :slight_smile:

Cheers
Ranki

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.