Flying a Tello Drone via Node-Red Dashboard and PYTHON

hello,

as a university project I am thinking about buying a Tello Drone and flying it via a Node-Red Dashboard. I have already found a module in the node-red palette GitHub - johnwalicki/Node-RED-Tello-Control: Node-RED flows to control the Ryze Tello Drone

A Basic Dashboard idea i added as a picture here.

Thing is, I would rather controll the drone with self-written Python code. There is a tello module in python which you can download. Also I want to have specific Buttons in the Dashboard, like "land". There I want to implement an AI, which searches for the landingplace (a big "H" on the ground). I have seen a lot of people on youtube flying the drone via python. but nobody with python, combined with node-red

Im an absolute newbie in Node-Red. So my question: Is it possible to use a node-red dashboard and Link python code behind the buttons? So if i click an "up" button, the drone executes python code and goes up?

Thanks in advance!!!!

interface|381x500

The guys from the github project are excellent experts. Why not using their work instead of redoing it in python ? Can’t you do the stuff you want to do not in node-red using the github project ?

hey (:slight_smile:
as i said i wanted to add features, like a AI-based landing. These aren implementable with the given Nodes

It is not exactly clear what the python part will do but

• in node-red you can use an exec node to launch the python program.
  • You can also write a python program that listens to an MQTT topic and send the control commands in node-red to this MQTT topic. Instead of MQTT you can use other ways of communication (TCP sockets,....).
  • also look in the node-red flows library for search string “python”. Maybe there are good nodes for easy integration with python.