Home Surveillance System (HSS)

Hello dynamicdave

I wish to add my thanks for your efforts, I had only a few hiccups (mine) now running on raspianos 64bit

on raspberrypi 4,
js 14 18.1
npm 6.14.4
node-red-2.1.0 Beta
node-red dashboard 3.0.4

no problems
regards

1 Like

Hi @elch really pleased you are enjoying using HSS.

The HSS team have been amazed by how many people have visited our project and taken the time to make useful comments (which are helping us improve HSS and maybe add extra features).

1 Like

OK , My rtsp Camera is working

1 Like

Version v1.2.0 of HSS was uploaded to the HSS website on... 19th October 2021

This release enables cameras and media_links to be given a name ("label") which makes HSS even more user-friendly. Examples of how to do this are in the config file... hss_config_basic_nf.txt

You will need to re-run Step 1 and Step 2 on the HSS Setup SAS tab-flow and then all of this should happen automatically for you.

Another new feature are "hooks" that enable users who run their own external AI object processing systems to easily connect their system to HSS. Full details will appear on our website in the next day.

Basically, the HSS MDSR flow has two MQTT and Inject nodes that form the "hooks".

A similar set of "hooks" can be inserted on the IP CAM X flows. Here's an example on the RedBull tab.

Our website will be updated in the next few days to reflect these enhancements and show some examples. The HSS Team thought you would prefer to have a 'play' with the new version of HSS than wait a couple of days for the documentation to catch-up! Hope you enjoy trying out all the new features.

3 Likes

Here's an example of setting a "label" for a camera in the 'hss_config_basic_nf.txt' file.

Screen Shot 10-19-21 at 05.30 PM

And here's an example of setting some media links in "media_links" in the 'hss_config_basic_nf.txt' file.

Please take note of the positioning of the commas and curly brackets in the above examples!!!!

Thank you Dave and the Team for the update.

Your efforts are appreciated!

Please note... HSS version v1.2.0 assumes you already have installed the MQTT nodes.

If you are NOT interested in using an external AI object processing system AND have no use for MQTT then you will need to delete the MQTT nodes from the HSS flow on the HSS MDSR and IP CAM 10 flow/tabs otherwise you may get a message saying... "MQTT nodes have not been installed".

A number of our visitors and existing users have asked where we get our camera feeds from.

This website has a great selection of camera URLs... Watch live surveillance online IP cameras in Axis

The best type of camera to select is "axis" as they work really well with HSS.

1 Like

Just to let anyone who has downloaded HSS v1.2.0 know, that our website has been updated with instructions on how to use the new user-friendly "label" feature.

Please take a look at our FAQs section at HSS - FAQs for more information.

Just to let anyone who has downloaded HSS v1.2.0 know, that our website has been updated with instructions on how to use the new "hooks" feature to interface to an AI external processing engine.

Please take a look at our FAQs section at HSS - FAQs for more information.

A number of our users have asked if it is possible to add another button to HSS.
The answer is YES, as most things are possible with HSS (ha, ha, ha) as it's basically Node-RED.

I've just written an example of adding an additional button to provide a second set of Presets.
adding_a_button_A
The example also shows how to reduce the width of a button and link it to the 'config' file.

This worked example can be found in the FAQ section of our website. Hope you find it useful.

1 Like

HSS offers a report on its Daily Housekeeping activity. I've just written a guide on how to activate this.
housekeeping_C

The illustrated guide can be found in the FAQ section of our website . Hope you find it useful.

1 Like

Hi all, and @kevinGodell
Not directly related but I have a feeling that this project may be of interest to this community - GitHub - aler9/rtsp-simple-server: ready-to-use RTSP / RTMP / HLS server and proxy that allows to read, publish and proxy video and audio streams

2 Likes

Version v1.2.1 of HSS was uploaded to the HSS website on... 1st November 2021

This is a minor release to...

• fix restarting of lost connection to rtsp cameras (as was discussed on the forum)
  • add a sample rtsp stream as IP CAM14 (e.g. Big Buck Bunny)

The config file (hss_config_sample_nf.txt) has been updated if you want to try out these new features.

Note 1:
The 'hss_config_basic_nf.txt' remains unchanged, so HSS will still work 'out-of-the-box'.

Note 2:
The URL for IP cameras is no longer needed in the config file.
For cameras with sources other than rtsp & m3u8 the url is still required and needs to be specified.

--------------------------------

"cam10": {
        "type": "IP",
        "rotation": "0deg",
         "label": "Insert label-text for the camera here"
    },

--------------------------------

"cam11": {
        "type": "IP",
        "rotation": "0deg",
         "label": "Insert label-text for the camera here"
    },
1 Like

Maybe, yes. One usage could be if you want to publish video from a raspi-cam or usb camera via rtsp, "converting" the raw video frames and encode them into h264. But my experience, using ffmpeg with libx264 on a Raspberry Pi (or any computer) will cause a high cpu load and it will get very hot. Using the gpu with the h264_omx improves things, cpu load is less, but still pretty high.

If the target is that you would like to make a usb camera "networked" you can use use mjpeg-streamer. On my own local & trusted home network I am using it since long with good experience for all my usb cameras. It doesn't convert any video frames, just makes the video available via http, causes neglegtable cpu load and the result works really fine in HSS