How to get the device name "hostname"

Hello I need to get the name of my device "hostname" (is a raspberry) where is loaded Node-red.
So I need to create a payload with the name of the device (set by Pi configuration form -> "hostname" field)

Thank you

an exec node set to run hostname ?
(and don't append the payload from the incoming message.)

[{"id":"da669b10.7253d8","type":"debug","z":"e9b4dddd.70115","name":"","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"false","statusVal":"","statusType":"auto","x":510,"y":60,"wires":[]},{"id":"3078162b.0ab55a","type":"exec","z":"e9b4dddd.70115","command":"hostname","addpay":false,"append":"","useSpawn":"false","timer":"","oldrc":false,"name":"","x":300,"y":60,"wires":[["da669b10.7253d8"],[],[]]},{"id":"6238f928.ad4ca8","type":"inject","z":"e9b4dddd.70115","name":"","props":[{"p":"payload"},{"p":"topic","vt":"str"}],"repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","payload":"","payloadType":"date","x":140,"y":60,"wires":[["3078162b.0ab55a"]]}]
1 Like

By "hostname", do you mean "myDeviceName"?

That is in the settings.js file.

1 Like

Add 'os:requrie('os') item to the global context... example of this is in the settings file how to do this.

Then you just do a global get to the 'os' node to get the hostname() function results. For example I do this at times in a function node...

var theHost = global.get('os').hostname().split('.')[0];

The above gets just 'host' name, ignoring any domain name element of the host FQDN (Full Qualified Doman Name) returned. So 'host' not 'host.domain.com' for example.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.